- Published papers
Totsika, V., Kouroupa, A., Timmerman, A., Allard, A., Gray, K. M., Hastings, R. P., ... & Tonge, B. (2023). School Attendance Problems Among Children with Neurodevelopmental Conditions One year Following the Start of the COVID-19 Pandemic. Journal of Autism and Developmental Disorders, 1-10.
Kouroupa, A., Allard, A., Gray, K., Hastings, R. P., Heyne, D., Melvin, G. A., Tonge, B., & Totsika, V. (2023). The association between home learning during COVID-19 lockdowns and subsequent school attendance among children with neurodevelopmental conditions. Child: Care, Health and Development, 1–6.
Paulauskaite, L., Timmerman, A., Kouroupa, N., Allard, A., Gray, K.M., Hastings, R.P., Heyne, D., Melvin, G.A., Tonge, B.J. and Totsika, V. (2022). Elective Home Education of children with neurodevelopmental conditions before and after the COVID-19 pandemic started. Frontiers in Psychology, p.6736.
Kouroupa, A., Allard, A., Gray, K.M., Hastings, R.P., Heyne, D., Melvin, G.A., Tonge, B.J. and Totsika, V. (2022, August). Home schooling during the COVID-19 pandemic in the United Kingdom: The experience of families of children with neurodevelopmental conditions. In Frontiers in Education (Vol. 7). Frontiers Media SA.
Totsika, V., Hastings, R.P., Dutton, Y., Worsley, A., Melvin, G., Gray, K., Tonge, B. and Heyne, D. (2020). Types and correlates of school non-attendance in students with autism spectrum disorders. Autism, 24(7), pp.1639-1649.
Melvin, G. A., Heyne, D., Gray, K. M., Hastings, R. P., Totsika, V., Tonge, B. J., & Freeman, M. M. (2019, June). The Kids and Teens at School (KiTeS) framework: An inclusive bioecological systems approach to understanding school absenteeism and school attendance problems. In Frontiers in Education (Vol. 4, p. 61). Frontiers Media SA.
- Policy and influencing
1. A presentation of the findings on school attendance problems to the All Party Parliamentary Group on Autism (APPGA): a cross-party group of policy makers. The meeting took place in January 2022 and was chaired by Huw Merriman, MP and Chair of APPGAholder
2. An overview of all research findings on school attendance and elective home education to stimulate a discussion on SEND policy implications during a private policy roundtable organised by the Council for Disabled Children and attended by policy makers across all 4 UK countries. We discussed with education policy makers, parents and charities what the findings mean and how we should move forward. Our conversations led to this Policy briefing.
- Our study in the news
1. A workshop delivered to designated clinical officers/designated medical officers and Heads of SEND on school non-attendance among UK autistic children and children with learning disabilities as part of a national online event in July 2021 organised by the Council for Disabled Children.
2. Article on iNews about the impact of COVID-19 on the educational experiences of autistic children and children with learning disabilities.
3. Article on myScience about autistic children and children with learning disabilities who have been left behind during pandemic school closures.
4. Article on UCL news about autistic children and children with learning disabilities who have been left behind during pandemic school closures.
5. Article on learning disability today about the growing number of children with a learning disability who deregister from school.
Please visit again this page. We will be posting more papers and findings from the current COVID-19 study on school attendance, home learning and Elective Home Education of autistic children or children with intellectual disability.