At UCL we constantly strive to make sure that all our facilities are up to date and provide the best learning experience for our students.
Your study environment
At UCL we constantly strive to make sure that all our facilities are up to date and provide the best learning experience for our students – so you’ll find study spaces in the Cruciform Hub, Senate House and 1–19 Torrington Place, as well as 1,000 spaces in the new Student Centre building. There are also refurbished labs in the Departments of Chemistry and Earth Sciences, a Virtual Trading Floor in the Department of Computer Science and a refurbished Language and Speech Sciences Library.
UCL's 16 specialist libraries support teaching and research. A large range of online resources can also be accessed from anywhere in the world, while a number of our libraries are open throughout the night.
UCL Centre for Languages & International Education (CLIE)
Our comprehensive centre offers courses for credit in Arabic, Dutch, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Mandarin, Portuguese and Spanish at various levels of proficiency. We also offer Teaching English as a Foreign Language (TEFL) courses, and evening classes in 18 languages and a British Sign Language (BSL) course.
Sport and leisure
UCL offers plenty of opportunities to take part in team sports or just to keep fit and have fun!
- Students' Union UCL runs around 60 sports and dance clubs, ranging from boxing and badminton to karate and capoeira!
- The Union also runs Bloomsbury Fitness, a well-equipped health and fitness club located just next door to the main campus in Bloomsbury.
- The UCL Sports Grounds in Shenley, Hertfordshire, include full-size football pitches, all-weather netball and tennis courts, plus a pavilion. A free bus service runs to the sports grounds on match days and for training.
- Other nearby facilities include Student Central, open to all University of London students including UCL students, which houses a 33-metre swimming pool, and Somers Town Community Sports Centre.
UCL is a secular institution, but we are committed to providing an inclusive learning and working environment where students of all religions and none can thrive. We are proud to provide facilities in the Student Centre for prayer, worship and meditation, for students of all faiths and none.
Arts and entertainment
London is a great place to have fun and experience culture of all kinds - but if you want to stay closer to home, there's plenty to do on campus:
- UCL's Bloomsbury Theatre is a professionally run, onsite theatre with a seating capacity of around 500. The Bloomsbury has recently undergone renovation and hosts both professional and student performances.
- The Union runs a huge variety of clubs and societies dedicated to the arts; there's something for you whether you're into music, drama, writing, photography or even DJing.
- Bookable rehearsal rooms are available on campus and in some residences for those who play a musical instrument.
- The Union runs three bars, four cafés and a shop on the Bloomsbury campus, perfect for grabbing a coffee between lectures, meeting up with friends or unwinding after a busy day!
Museums and collections
UCL has a huge range of onsite museums and collections that can be used for study, or simply to explore when you have an hour between lectures!
- UCL Art Museum
- UCL Ethnography Collection
- UCL Geology Collection
- UCL Grant Museum of Zoology
- UCL Institute of Archaeology Collections
- UCL Petrie Museum of Egyptian Archaeology
- UCL Science and Galton Collections