The CPD Doctorate in Educational Psychology is a flexible 4-year research degree eligible only to practising EPs with at least one year's experience working as a qualified Educational Psychologist. If this does not apply to you click here to see other PhD and graduate programmes offered by UCL.
The course combines a practical/applied focus with academic and research excellence, providing opportunities for EPs to carry out high-quality applied research into important and complex issues in Local Authorities and Educational Psychology Services and to develop evidence-based practice.
Our academic year runs from January to December. Attendance at UCL for the taught elements of the programme involves 15 days in year 1 and 9 days for each of years 2 to 4, planned as far as possible to coincide with periods of low service demand. In addition we facilitate private study by offering flexible off-site tutor support, access to excellent and diverse libraries and research materials and electronic learning modules.
Assessment comprises four professional practice development assignments of 7,000 words each (usually one submitted annually) and a research thesis of 30-40,000 words in length which focuses on current and complex issues in Educational Psychology (completed in the final year of the programme).
• A British Psychological Society recognised Master’s (or equivalent level) qualification in educational psychology followed by at least one year's experience as a practising Educational Psychologist.
• Two letters of reference supporting the candidate’s ability to undertake the DEdPsy. The opinion and support of current employers will be sought in that for applicants currently employed by LAs one of the two referees should be the head of service in which the applicant is working.
• An appropriate Initial Research Proposal which identifies a provisional topic for the thesis.
• Evidence of keeping up-to-date with developments in psychology.
• Evidence of understanding of current issues in educational psychology and practice.
• Evidence of innovatory/creative work in own professional practice.
• Evidence of recent involvement in applied small-scale action research carried out within present service.
• Evidence of published paper(s) in professional journal(s) and/or conference presentations.
• Evidence of the ability to write logically and clearly.
• Evidence of the agreement and support of line manager/PEP to embark on a 4-year CPD Doctoral programme at UCL.
Fees for 2017 entry are estimated to be:
UK/EU students: £2,385 per year
Overseas students: approximately £10,660* per year)
Interested applicants are strongly encouraged to seek support from their employer (including support with payment of programme fees).
- Further Information
For further information, please see the Doctorate in Educational Psychology pages