Former PhD student, now Chief Integration Engineer at Cranfield Aerospace Solutions
Fuel cells involve a complex interplay of physical and electrochemical processes. Development of advanced metrology tools is essential to understanding how they operate. Performance improvements have been shown to be possible by taking a ‘nature inspired’ approach to flow plate design but advanced metrology tools are required in order to optimise design and operation. This project will use advanced diagnostic techniques to understand the thermal and water management in nature-inspired fuel cells with a view to design and performance optimisation.
PhD, Chemical Engineering, University College London, London, UK (2021)
MSc Chemical Process Engineering, University College London, London (2016 - 2017)
BE (Hons.) Chemical Engineering, BITS Pilani Goa Campus, India (2010)
Project Scientist, ARCI (Govt. of India R&D centre), India (2011-2014)
Research Engineer – II, Saint-Gobain Research India, India (2014-16)
- V.S. Bethapudi, G. Hinds, P.R. Shearing, D.J.L. Brett, M.-O. Coppens, Acoustic emission analysis of polymer electrolyte membrane fuel cells, 2020 ECS Trans. 98 177.
- V.S. Bethapudi, J. Hack, P. Trogadas, G. Hinds, P.R. Shearing, D.J.L. Brett and M.-O Coppens, Hydration state diagnosis in fractal flow-field based polymer electrolyte membrane fuel cells using acoustic emission analysis, Energy Convers Manage 2020; 220:113083
- V.S. Bethapudi, M. Maier, G. Hinds, P.R. Shearing, D.J.L. Brett, M.O. Coppens, Acoustic emission as a function of polarisation: Diagnosis of polymer electrolyte fuel cell hydration state, Electrochem. Commun. 109 (2019) 106582. doi:10.1016/j.elecom.2019.106582.
- V.S. Bethapudi, J. Hack, P. Trogadas, J.I.S. Cho, L. Rasha, G. Hinds, P.R. Shearing, D.J.L. Brett, M.-O.Coppens, A lung-inspired printed circuit board polymer electrolyte fuel cell, Energy Convers. Manag. 202 (2019) 112198.doi:10.1016/j.enconman.2019.112198
- V.S. Bethapudi, N. Rajalakshmi, K.S. Dhathathreyan Performance analysis of Polymer Electrolyte Membrane (PEM) Fuel Cell stack operated under Marine Environmental conditions, Journal of Marine Science and Technology (2016) 21:471–478, DOI 10.1007/s00773-016-0369-y.
- V.S. Bethapudi, N. Rajalakshmi, K.S. Dhathathreyan, Design and optimization of a closed two loop thermal management system for PEM fuel cell using heat transfer modules, International Journal of Chemical Engineering and Applications,Vol.3, No.3,pp.243-248, 2012.