Dept News, June - August 2016
26 August 2016
1. Many congratulations to Olly Southwick (supervised by Ted Johnson and Robb McDonald; ''Coastal flows driven by vorticity'') and Tao Gao (supervised by Jean-Marc Vanden-Broeck; ''Nonlinear flexural-gravity free-surface flows and related gravity-capillary flows'') who have recently passed their PhD vivas.
2. The department is delighted to announce the following successful promotions (effective 1st Oct 2016):
- Carlo Marinelli : Professor of Mathematics
- Helen Wilson : Professor of Applied Mathematics
- Sarah Zerbes : Professor of Mathematics
- Steve Baigent: Reader in Mathematics
- Johannes Ruf: Reader in Quantitative Finance and Probability
- Jonny Evans: Senior Lecturer
1. Alan Sokal has been awarded an EPSRC Established Career Fellowship for his intra-disciplinary project 'Positivity problems at the boundary between combinatorics and analysis'.
2. The department is pleased with the 2016 National Student Survey Results in which we obtained an overall satisfaction score of 93%.
3. Congratulations to undergraduates Wenqiang Xu and Mihai Barbu who received 2nd and 3rd prizes respectively at the 23rd International Mathematics Competition for University Students in Blagoevgrad, Bulgaria.