Cost: £325 *
*Concessions may be available
On this three-day course you'll learn the camera skills you need to shoot film in the documentary style.
The course is taught through a series of hands-on exercises that increase in complexity over the three days.
You'll have access to professional camera and sound equipment for the duration of the course, as well as access to the edit suite following the course.
The course runs on three consecutive Saturdays, from 11am to 5pm.
The course is led by filmmakers Isis Thompson and Helen Lawson Learn.
This course is run by the Open City Docs School, based in UCL's Department of Anthropology.
Through a series of camera exercises you'll learn the following filmmaking skills:
- hand-held shooting technique using a professional video camera
- how to use a tripod
- intelligent use of automatic controls
- getting good sound for interviews
- filming a sequence
- filming uncontrolled action
- filming for the edit
The course tutors will take you through the editing process with raw material and
explain why certain choices were made in bringing together a
Who this course is for
This course is suitable for beginners.
There are no pre-requisites required to apply for this course.
Benefits of taking this course
Taking this course you'll:
- be taught by a professional documentary filmmaker
- have access to professional camera equipment
- have unique access to a filmmaker and her editor, who'll guide you through how footage can then be used in the edit
- have access to use the media lab and editing software at UCL after the course has finished
By the end of this course you'll have an understanding of how to:
- use a hand-held professional video camera
- get good sound
- film a sequence
- film uncontrolled action
You'll also have an understanding of what it means to ‘film for the edit’.
Cost and concessions
This course costs:
- £325 - full price
- £300 - external students
- £270 - UCL students
Sign up for short course announcements: Subscribe to the UCL Life Learning newsletter to receive news and updates on courses in your chosen area. (For updates on a specific course, contact the administrator - see 'Contact information'.)
Course information last modified: 10 Jun 2019, 15:45