We don't have a date for this course yet. Please contact Alison Gibson to register your interest.
This two-day course will introduce you to periodontal surgical options including various mucogingival plastic surgical options. Indications and principles will be discussed and there'll be practical sessions on pigs jaws covering:
- flap incision and reflection in the anterior zone
- anterior vertical bony defect augmentation
- mucogingival techniques for root coverage (recession treatment) in the anterior zone
Mucoderm is a biomaterial used for recession coverage and mucogingival surgery, and during this course you'll have the exclusive chance to meet and work with Mucoderm representatives.
This course is run by the UCL Eastman Dental Institute in London which has a broad range of continuing professional development (CPD) short courses. These provide hands-on training from experienced staff in dedicated facilities.
By the end of the course, you'll be more familiar with:
- indications and types of periodontal surgery
- the rationale of crown lengthening, guided tissue / bone regeneration
- latest regeneration techniques and materials
- flap design in the anterior zone, incisions, reflection and use of renovating biomaterials
- temporisation design, materials and finish lines during the above procedures and healing period
- indications for mucogingival soft tissue surgery
- the surgical procedures for gingival augmentation and for root coverage
- enhancements for pontic sites in the anterior zone prior to avoid aesthetic pontics
- surgical procedures for gingival augmentation and root coverage including the latest grafting materials
- prosthetic restorative management and materials for the interim healing phase in view of the optimum aesthetic final outcome
- Basic surgical management of vertical residual boney defects
- Use of latest regeneration techniques and biomaterials
- Aesthetic interdisciplinary case discussion
- Management of recessions: root coverage
- Basic mucogingival techniques: ovoid pontic site development
Who this course is for
This course is particularly relevant if you're:
- a dental practitioner interested in contemporary periodontal surgery and referral principles for surgical intervention
- a periodontist
- a prosthodontist who wants to develop your surgical skills and understanding in surgical management
- an implantologist
You must hold an approved dental qualification to take this course.
CPD points and certificate
The course will give you 13 hours of verifiable CPD. You'll also get a certificate of attendance.
During this course, you'll be introduced to and shown the treatment modalities of management for covering recessions and basic surgical concepts of regenerative techniques for periodontal vertical bony defects of anterior teeth.
After the course, you should be able to enhance your treatment planning skills and treatment approaches on the above procedures. You'll practice on surgical flaps, incisions, reflection and use of renovating biomaterials.
After being guided through the clinical execution of the above procedures step-by-step, you should be able to confidently make the appropriate referrals or, with additional practice, start incorporating the comfortable relevant parts in your daily practice.
Structure and teaching
The course will be delivered as a series of interactive evidence-based seminars using clinical cases and videos, combined with clinical hands-on laboratory training using pigs jaws. There'll be an opportunity for discussion and questions.
All Eastman teachers are experienced professionals. You’ll be asked to submit written feedback via a questionnaire at the end of the course, which is used to monitor the course's quality of teaching and value for money.
Please read the Eastman's refunds policy before booking.
Sign up for short course announcements: Subscribe to the UCL Life Learning newsletter to receive news and updates on courses in your chosen area. (For updates on a specific course, contact the administrator - see 'Contact information'.)
Dominiki qualified in 1998 from Aristotle University of Thessaloniki, and subsequently completed her MClinDent in Periodontics from QMUL with distinction in 2001. She was appointed as a Clinical Academic Lecturer within the department and subsequently became a Senior Clinical Lecturer and Course Director for the MClinDent in Periodontology and the Diploma in Advanced Clinical Periodontology.
She has 14 years of experience in managing complex periodontal cases and is part of the implant team teaching postgraduates at the QMUL.
Dominiki's areas of interest include mucogingival surgery, risk management in periodontics and periodontal regenerative therapy and regularly lectures on these topics nationally and internationally. She is the only UK periodontist who represents the Mucoderm expert group internationally. Her clinical time is divided between private periodontal practice in West London and the Royal London Hospital.
Course information last modified: 18 Jan 2018, 16:19