This course offers a research-informed theoretical underpinning to tried-and-tested practical approaches that will help you:
- develop specific leadership skills that will make a difference to you in your role as Head of Year
- explore strategies to empower your year-group team so that they make a real difference to pupil outcomes
- more effectively manage relationships within the leadership team so that your year group is enabled to achieve their potential
- better organise and manage time and tasks to ensure you're making a real difference to pupils
- develop skills to manage powerful dialogues that achieve the outcomes you want
It's an opportunity to look at your own practice with fresh eyes in an out-of-school setting, and to share experiences with colleagues in similar positions in other schools.
This course is delivered by the London Centre for Leadership in Learning (LCLL) at the UCL Institute of Education (IOE).
Course content and structure
You'll attend four face-to-face sessions, which are held from 4pm to 6.30pm. These sessions combine bursts of theory with practical activity.
In between these sessions you'll carry out focused tasks in your own school.
Session 1: Teamwork and leadership
- What does research tell us about leading effective teams?
- What does research tell us about models of leadership that will make a difference to you in your role?
Session 2: Active listening and managing challenging conversations
- The power of active listening and the role of trust
- Managing challenging conversations to get the outcomes you want
Session 3: Working strategically, using data
- Data for dialogue: a problem solving tool
- Tools to enable you to work strategically, visioning, action planning and tracking impact
Session 4: Managing yourself, coaching others
- Getting the best from yourself: time management and resilience
- Developing coaching skills to enable you to get the best from your tutor team
Dates and times
Sessions will run from 4pm to 6:30pm on:
- 17 October 2019
- 14 November 2019
- 17 December 2019
- 21 January 2020
Who this course is for
The course is for Heads of Year in secondary-school settings.
This course should help you to:
- demonstrate active listening skills
- achieve positive outcomes from challenging conversations
- manage your own time, energy and professional relationships better
- lead your team, including through a coaching approach
- establish your vision and plan strategically
Mark is Bespoke Programme Leader at LCLL. He works in partnership with local authorities, academy trusts and schools in the state and independent sectors to design and deliver bespoke professional development programmes. He's constructed and facilitated middle leadership and lead practitioner programmes for local authorities across London. Before joining the IOE. Mark worked for 22 years as a teacher and secondary school senior leader, leading on teacher training, induction and whole-school staff development.
Course information last modified: 02 May 2019, 14:57