Exploring Headship is a pioneering networking programme to support you as a newly appointed principal or headteacher during your first two years in post.
Take control of your school’s future and implement your own vision of an outstanding school.
The programme is designed to be independent of, and complement, the support provided by your local authority (LA). You'll have the opportunity to develop your individual leadership in a non-accountable, confidential environment made up of your peers.
This programme is delivered by UCL Institute of Education (IOE) affiliate facilitators who are, or have been, experienced headteachers.
Who this programme is for
It's suitable for those responsible for the running of a school at least one day per week, including:
- deputy headteachers
By the end of this programme you'll have:
- developed networks facilitating peer reviews, inter-school learning walks and collaborative learning communities in local regions
- enhanced your leadership skills and developed your own competencies as a head
- shared and benefited from knowledge and experience that will help you meet the challenges of headship
Benefits of taking this programme
Exploring Headship is made up of a range of elements designed to enhance your leadership skills and help you develop your own competencies as a head.
- network membership: for 2 years from acceptance
- induction session: “First 100 Days of Headship” focusing on the most important early challenges facing heads new to post
- facilitated networking events: choose 8 sessions, focusing on key issues for newly appointed heads (four-hour morning or twilight sessions)
- one-to-one coaching with current or experienced Headteacher and trained coach, purchasable in 3 hour blocks
- 360 leadership diagnostic: two bespoke surveys to assess your leadership development. Additional surveys can be acquired to ascertain the qualities of your new SLT
- online resources: access to NCTL Level 3 & 4 modules, access to education and leadership knowledge hub
- discussion forum: online network with contribution from accredited facilitators and coaches
There is no assessment for this course.
The programme is open to principals, headteachers and deputy headteachers responsible for the running of a school for at least one day per week.
Current NPQH participants already appointed to headship are eligible to apply.
The application window is open throughout the year. Membership is valid for two years from date of acceptance for heads in their first two years of post.
Dates, costs and how to apply
Applications are welcome all year round.
There is a programme fee of £500 for a 2 year membership.
Find out about how to apply, plus full programme information, on the Leadership Colab website.
Sign up for short course announcements: Subscribe to the UCL Life Learning newsletter to receive news and updates on courses in your chosen area. (For updates on a specific course, contact the administrator - see 'Contact information'.)
Various school leaders facilitate this programme
The facilitated networking events are all run by UCL Institute of Education (IOE) affiliate facilitators who are, or have been, experienced headteachers.
Course information last modified: 23 Nov 2017, 16:57