This one-day course on management issues and risk assessment is aimed at heads and deputy heads of science, heads of physics, chemistry and biology and those aspiring to such posts.
It's an interactive course with discussions and practical activities designed to enhance your understanding of the legislative framework, including risk assessment, and how it applies in schools.
You'll discuss potential accidents in school science and its implications for management. You'll have the opportunity to raise your own concerns.
This course is run by the Consortium of Local Education Authorities for the Provision of Science Services (CLEAPSS) at UCL Institute of Education (IOE).
Who this course is for
This course is ideal for:
- heads of science
- deputy heads of science
- heads of physics/chemistry/biology
- those aspiring to the above posts
The course will cover:
- current and significant safety issues in science teaching
- what's required by health and safety legislation and the implications of this for the management of safety in science departments
- the risk assessment process, as required by the management regulatories, Control of Substances Hazardous to Health (COSHH) regulations and others
- the uses of a safety policy and how it can be monitored
- devising an action plan
- discussion of checklists that could be used to audit your school's processes
There'll be a discussion on common and not-so-common-but-more-serious accidents which occur in school science and the management implications for these.
You'll also have the opportunity to raise your own concerns.
Teaching and structure
The day will be a mixture of input from the tutor, discussions, and a variety of activities.
By the end of the course, you'll have:
- explored in detail what health and safety legislation requires and what it does not
- considered what constitutes a sensible, manageable and effective approach to risk assessment
- appreciated the need for a health and safety policy and considered how its implementation can be sensibly monitored
Sign up for short course announcements: Subscribe to the UCL Life Learning newsletter to receive news and updates on courses in your chosen area. (For updates on a specific course, contact the administrator - see 'Contact information'.)
Matt Endean and Steve Jones for CLEAPSS
Matt and Steve work as advisers for CLEAPSS.
CLEAPSS provides advice and guidance on all aspects of practical work in science, technology and art. This guidance explores ideas for exciting and engaging practical activities that fire pupils' imaginations and then, unlike many alternative resources, goes on to show teachers and technicians, in detail, how to translate these ideas into safe and exciting classroom experiences.
CLEAPSS has in excess of 28,000 schools and colleges in membership, predominantly in England, Wales and Northern Ireland, where its advice is recognised by HSE, DFE and OFSTED as representing best practice in these areas and as such it is used by employers as the basis for them to discharge their responsibilities under the H&S at work act, 1999.
Course information last modified: 29 Jun 2018, 15:34