Profile & Legacies Summary
Claimant or beneficiary
Awardee for 16 enslaved people in Montserrat. Possibly also the Walter Shoy whose wife Emma counterclaimed unsuccessfully for compensation for Streatham Estate in Montserrat.
- A genealogical site, sourced to the archives at Christiansted, show a Shoy family of the Virgin Islands (St Croix and St John) with children of Edmond (d. by 02/10/1764) and MaryAnn Shoy including Michael (d. 1780 in Christiansted) and Walter. Given the continuity of naming practices and rarity of the surname, the Michael and Walter Shoy in the compensation records are almost certainly descendants of this family.
Associated Claims (1)
Associated Estates (2)
The dates listed below have different categories as denoted by the letters in the brackets following each date. Here is a key to explain those letter codes:
- SD - Association Start Date
- SY - Association Start Year
- EA - Earliest Known Association
- ED - Association End Date
- EY - Association End Year
- LA - Latest Known Association
1817 [EA] - 1824 [LA] → Joint owner
1817 [EA] - 1831 [LA] → Owner