Profile & Legacies Summary
Joint owner of a group of enslaved people in Kingston with his wife Eliza Baines. A number of these enslaved people had previously belonged to Ann Greville.
- Very likely the George Baines and his wife Eliza who had a son, George Greville Baynes [sic] born 12/06/1811 and baptised 17/07/1811 in Kingston, both parents given as "free quadroons". The baptisms of three more children give the mother's maiden surname as Greville: Alexander and Eliza Greville (both 1822) and Edward (1823). Another daughter Ann Greville was baptised in 1827.
- Familysearch.org, Jamaica Church of England Parish Register Transcripts, 1664-1880 [database online].
We are grateful to David Barker for his assistance with compiling this entry.
George Greville, Alexander, Eliza Greville, Edward, Ann Greville
Associated Estates (2)
The dates listed below have different categories as denoted by the letters in the brackets following each date. Here is a key to explain those letter codes:
- SD - Association Start Date
- SY - Association Start Year
- EA - Earliest Known Association
- ED - Association End Date
- EY - Association End Year
- LA - Latest Known Association
1831 [EA] - → Previous owner
1820 [EA] - 1829 [LA] → Joint owner