Thomas Hartley II
Profile & Legacies Summary
???? - 1831
Partner in Whitehaven bank of Hartleys & Co., with his brother Milham Hartley (q.v.) and with Thomas Hartley III, probably his son.
- The will of Thomas Hartley of Gillfoot Cumberland proved 20/05/1831 identifies him as the brother of Milham Hartley and his wife as Anne, the daughter and heir of Thomas Hartley [I] [and hence presumably his first cousin]. It was attested by Thomas Hartley of Gillfoot, not further identified but apparently his son. In a codicil Thomas Hartley II he mentioned that he had given £2500 to his son Grayson Hartley before the latter's departure to New South Wales. An Arbitration award had followed the death and intestacy of Thomas Hartley I of Gillfoot 06/06/1815.
- PROB 11/1785/253; http://www.archiveweb.cumbria.gov.uk, YDX235 'Hartley family of Distington 1703-1881' No. 29 for the intestacy of Thomas Hartley I. YDX235/28 is the marriage settlement of Thomas Hartley the younger [i.e. Thomas Hartley II] and Anne his wife, 20/11/1805, when Thomas Hartley the elder of Gillfoot was still alive.
Ann or Anne Hartley
Associated Estates (1)
The dates listed below have different categories as denoted by the letters in the brackets following each date. Here is a key to explain those letter codes:
- SD - Association Start Date
- SY - Association Start Year
- EA - Earliest Known Association
- ED - Association End Date
- EY - Association End Year
- LA - Latest Known Association
1829 [EA] - 1831 [LA] → Joint owner
It is not possible to distinguish between Thomas Hartley II (d. 1831) and Thomas Hartley III in the ownership, which is given as Thomas and Milham Hartley throughout.
Whitehaven, Cumberland, Northern England, England