Sir Adam Fergusson 3rd Bart., of Kilkerran
Profile & Legacies Summary
1733 - 1813
MP for Ayrshire 1774-1780, 1781-1784, and 1790-1796, and for Edinburgh 1784-1790.
- The banker Charles Fergusson, the younger brother of Sir Adam Fergusson 3rd bart., had reportedly inherited property including Rozelle in Jamaica from Charles Montgomery. Reportedly a decade after Charles Fergusson's banking firm failed - it stopped payment 10/06/1772 - Fergusson assigned his interest in the Rozelle estate in Jamaica to Sir Adam Fergusson, who had advanced cash to his brother to avert his bankruptcy. The Accounts Produce however show Sir Adam Fergusson as co-owner from 1773 onwards.
- Eric Graham, Burns and the Sugar Plantocracy of Ayrshire (2014) pp. 28-29.
Associated Estates (1)
The dates listed below have different categories as denoted by the letters in the brackets following each date. Here is a key to explain those letter codes:
- SD - Association Start Date
- SY - Association Start Year
- EA - Earliest Known Association
- ED - Association End Date
- EY - Association End Year
- LA - Latest Known Association
1773 [EA] - 1804 [LA] → Joint owner
Lord of Trade
1781 - 1782
1774 - 1780
1781 - 1784
1784 - 1790
1790 - 1796