Profile & Legacies Summary
???? - 1823
Co-owner of the Belvidere estate on St Vincent with his partner James Bruce (q.v.) until the latter's death in 1815. The estate passed to James McCaul's niece Elizabeth Hagart (q.v.) under his will in 1823, which mde her residuary legatee.
- Will of James McCaul of island of St Vincent [made in 1821] was proved 21/08/1823. Under the will he made Thomas C. Hagart, his niece Elizabeth Hagart, Doctor Thomas Choppin of St Vincent and his son William McCaul at present residing in Calliagua his trustees. He left: an annuity of £300 p.a. to his sister Elizabeth Stewart, the wife of Thomas Stewart of Glasgow [and mother of Elizabeth Hagart]; his land and buildings at Calliagua to his son William McCaul, together with the services of 'a negro woman' Mary and her children Peggy, Jerry and Paul for William McCaul's life (they to go free on his death) and a legacy of £6000; a legacy of £5000 at the age of 23 to his son John McCaul, then aged 14 years, residing at Calliagua with his brother William (he also provided £120 p.a. for John's support until his majority); £1000 to 'a mulatto girl' called Jesse, daughter of a Black woman called J[?]anis; £1000 to a mulatto boy James the son of a Black woman named M[?]at Rose; an annuity of £10 p.a. to a 'mulatto woman named Kitty from Carriacou'; an annuity of £40 p.a. and a house on the estate to his servant Frank (whom he also manumitted); and £200 to Dr Thomas Choppin. His residuary legatee was his niece Elizabeth Hagart for her own use and benefit. In two codicils he added Gilbert Munro as his executor and trustee and left his Madeira wine 'here' [i.e. in St Vincent] to William McCaul and his Madeira wine in his house on St Vincent Street Glasgow to Thomas C. Hagart.
Associated Estates (2)
The dates listed below have different categories as denoted by the letters in the brackets following each date. Here is a key to explain those letter codes:
- SD - Association Start Date
- SY - Association Start Year
- EA - Earliest Known Association
- ED - Association End Date
- EY - Association End Year
- LA - Latest Known Association
1809 [EA] - → Joint owner
1817 [EA] - 1823 [LA] → Owner