???? - 1786
With William Forbes (q.v.), a major early purchaser of land and estates on Tobago. By 1773 the two men were shown as Present Proprietors of Courland Bay division (St David parish) Lots no. 33 (originally purchased by William Forbes 05/06/1770), no. 36 (also originally purchased by William Forbes 05/06/1770) which became part of Runnemede, and no. 42 (originally purchased by George Forbes 05/06/1770) which became Culloden. In 1773 William Forbes alone held three more Lots in Great River division (St Mary parish), nos. 15 and 16 (originally purchased by Rowland Green 19/03/1767) and no. 37 (originally purchased by George Forbes 05/06/1770), which together formed the Morne d'Or estate.
Signatory of the 06/06/1781 address of the inhabitants of Tobago on the departure of Lt Governor Ferguson.
Deaths. Aug. 30, 1786 At Tobago, George Forbes, esq; planter of that Ireland.
'Tables showing the Lots in each Parish, numbered as originally granted - the original Grantee - the name of the Lot, or lots, if one has been acquired, and the present Possessor where there is one' and 'A Table, showing the Estates in cultivation in 1832, and their Owners, in 1832, copied from the list appended to Byres' map of that date, with those in cultivation in 1862', Henry Iles Woodcock, A History of Tobago (Ayr: Smith and Grant, 1867; new impression London: Frank Cass and Company Limited, 1971); John Fowler, A summary account of the present flourishing state of the respectable colony of Tobago in the British West Indies illustrated with a map of the island and a plan of its settlement, agreeably to the sales by his Majesty’s Commissioners (London: A Grant, 1774) pp. 38-39, 40-41, 42-43 and 44-45.
The Remembrancer Vol. 12 (1781) p. 250.
Gentleman's Magazine Vol. 57 for the year 1787 Part the First, p. 89 .
The dates listed below have different categories as denoted by the letters in the brackets following each date. Here is a key to explain those letter codes:
05/06/1770 [SD] - 1786 [EY] → Owner
Original purchaser was George Forbes 05/06/1770 as Courland Bay division (St David parish) Lot no. 42. By 1773 the Present Proprietor(s) were shown as W. & G. Forbes.