Bennetts / Giddy Hall

Estate Details


Associated People (6)

The dates listed below have different categories as denoted by the letters in the brackets following each date. Here is a key to explain those letter codes:

  • SD - Association Start Date
  • SY - Association Start Year
  • EA - Earliest Known Association
  • ED - Association End Date
  • EY - Association End Year
  • LA - Latest Known Association
- 1792 [EY] → Owner
1792 [SY] - 1802 [EY] → Owner
1829 [SY] - 1830 [EY] → Owner
1830 [SY] - 1831 [EY] → Owner

It is possible that it was this John Tapin but by no means certain.

1798 [SY] - 1829 [EY] → Owner
1831 [SY] - 1836 [EY] → Owner

Associated Claims (1)

£3,536 5S 7D

Notes


Estate Information (12)

What is this?

1788
[Number of enslaved people] 122(Tot)  
[Size] 368  
 

According to Colonial Office correspondence UK National Archives CO28/62, p. 251 cited by Hughes-Queree.

 
Barbados Department of Archives. Hughes-Queree Index of Plantations.
1792
[Number of enslaved people] 109(Tot)  
[Size] 368  
 

NB that the acreage and number of enslaved was for both Bennetts and Mangrove Pond. Somers Clar[k]e of London, England, merchant, sold to John Forster Alleyne 2 plantations adjoining each other in St. Thomas: 1. Giddy Hall (Bennetts); 2. Mangrove Pond. The total size was 368 acres with 109 enslaved. The purchase price was £21,000. Somers Clarke owed £1,500 to Ann Bennett, neé Hothersall, widow of Walter Bennett. Purchases assumed that and other debts, pays £4,500 and gave mortgage for balance of purchase price. (See also Mangrove Pond estate.)

 
Barbados Department of Archives. Hughes-Queree Index of Plantations.
1802
[Number of enslaved people] 148(Tot)  
[Size] 376  
 

NB that the acreage and number of enslaved was for both Bennetts and (presumably) Mangrove Pond. In 1798 John Forster Alleyne sold to Gabriel Jemmott 2 plantations in St. Thomas with a combined total of 376 acres and 148 enslaved. Jemmott gave mortgage for £23,000. [Presumably, the two plantations were Bennetts and Mangrove Pond.]
It appears that sometime between 1802 and 1817 Mangrove Pond was sold to Richard M. Smitten. See Mangrove Pond estate records.

 
Barbados Department of Archives. Hughes-Queree Index of Plantations.
1817
[Number of enslaved people] 174(Tot) 91(F) 83(M)  
[Name] Bennetts  
 

Return of Gabriel Jemmett, his own property.

 
T71/522 182-86
1823
[Number of enslaved people] 197(Tot)  
[Name] [no name given]  
 

Return of Gabriel Jemmett, his own property. Previously 186 enslaved.

 
T71/531 191-2
1826
[Number of enslaved people] 207(Tot)  
 

Return of Gabriel Jemmett, his own property. Previously 197 enslaved. Apart from births and deaths, 1 enslaved person, Frank, aged 21, a "coloured" Barbadian, was sold to John Hill and sent to Trinidad.

 
T71/538 86-7
1829
[Number of enslaved people] 131(Tot)  
[Name] None given  
 

Return of Charles Frederic [sic] Sage, his own property. 124 enslaved purchased in Chancery from Gabriel Jemmett: see also Jemmett's return.

 
T71/542 80-3
1829
[Number of enslaved people] 94(Tot)  
 

Return of Gabriel Jemmett, his own property. Previously 207 enslaved. Of the decreases, there were 15 deaths and 124 were sold in Chancery to Chas. F. Sage. (See also the latter's return.)

 
T71/542 51-55
1830
[Number of enslaved people] 122(Tot)  
[Size] 289  
 

Charles Frederick Sage of St. Michael sold Bennetts plantation to John Tapin of Christ Church for £25,000. Tapin gave mortgage for £21,600. The estate was 289 acres with 122 enslaved.

 
Barbados Department of Archives. Hughes-Queree Index of Plantations.
1831
[Number of enslaved people] 122(Tot)  
[Size] 289  
 

In 1831 John Tapin sold Bennetts to Nathaniel Forte.

 
Barbados Department of Archives. Hughes-Queree Index of Plantations.
1832
[Number of enslaved people] 122(Tot)  
 

Return of Nathaniel Forte, his own property. Not clear which claim (if any) this was associated with. It is probable that this was associated with the Bennett's estate.

 
T71/551 32-5
1833
 

The Forte family owned Bennetts until 1914, possibly 1916. From 1916 it was owned, with Mangrove Pond by the Sandy Lane Company, at least until 1957/58.

 
Barbados Department of Archives. Hughes-Queree Index of Plantations.