Dr Hoxhaj gives evidence to Home Affairs Select Committee hearing on Albania
9 December 2022
Dr Hoxhaj appeared before the parliamentary hearing on Migration and Asylum: Albania.
On Wednesday 7 December, Dr Andi Hoxhaj (Lecturer (Teaching) in Law at UCL Laws) appeared before the Home Affairs Committee to give evidence on the increase in channel crossings by Albanian nationals.
Dr Hoxhaj discussed the socio-legal and economic issues in Albania which have impacted migration; how Albanian asylum claimants are managed; and shared his research on Albania. You can watch Dr Hoxhaj giving evidence below:
A transcript is also available on the UK Parliament website (.pdf).
Dr Hoxhaj was interviewed on BBC News, where he spoke more about the evidence he gave to the hearing:
Dr Hoxhaj also gave an interview to Dutch current affairs programme Nieuwsuur:
- Listen: BBC Radio 4 'The World Tonight' (from 9 mins 33 secs)
- Albanezen steken plots massaal het Kanaal over, mede door valse beloftes – Dr Hoxhaj quoted in the Netherlands Public Broadcasting (Nederlandse Omroep Stichting)
- ‘Albanian children facing racist bullying due to UK asylum row, says envoy’ – Dr Hoxhaj quoted in the Guardian
- UK Parliament Debates Causes of Mass Influx of Albanians – Dr Hoxhaj quoted in Balkan Insight
- ‘Albania’s ghost towns: the crisis that caused the exodus’ – The Conversation article by Dr Hoxhaj
- ‘Albanian migrants in UK experiencing ‘alarming rise’ in hostility and suspicion’ – Dr Hoxhaj quoted in Metro