Prof Noemie Bouhana
Professor of Crime Science and Counter Extremism
Dept of Security and Crime Science
Faculty of Engineering Science
- Joined UCL
- 26th Jun 2006
Dr Bouhana is both a political scientist and a criminologist by training, with a particular interest in the contribution of criminological theory and methodology to an understanding of terrorism and radicalisation. More specifically, her research interests centre on the systemic and ecological processes involved in the emergence of radicalising settings, the role that these settings play in the individual development of a terrorist propensity, as well as the mechanisms which underpin individual vulnerability to moral change. Other research areas include the design, evaluation and implementation of threat reduction technologies.
Recent research grants (Principal Investigator)
- Principal Investigator. "The Social Ecology of Radicalization: A Foundation for the Design of CVE Initiatives". Funded by the US DOD Minerva Initiative. October 2016 to September 2019. $1.06 million.
- Principal Investigator. "FP7-PRIME. Preventing, Interdicting and Mitigating Extremist Events." Funded by the European Commission, Seventh Framework Programme (FP7). May 2014 to April 2017. €2.9 million.
- Principal Investigator. "Building Confidence in Online Influence Activities." Funded by the Ministry of Defence, Defence Science and Technology Laboratory (DSTL). January to March 2013. £29k.
Recent research grants (Co-Investigator)
- Co-Investigator. "Gauging the Risk of Incidents of Extremist Violence Against Non-Combatant Entities (GRIEVANCE)." Funded by the European Research Council. January 2017 to December 2022. €1.5 million.
- Co-Investigator. "Applying Criminological Paradigms to Terrorist Decision Making Regarding Security and Risk." Funded by Centre for Research and Evidence on Security Threats (CREST). May 2016 to April 2107. £125k.
- Co-Investigator. "FP7-VOX-Pol. Network of Excellence (NoE) on Violent Online Political Extremism". January 2014 to October 2019. €5.1 million.
- Co-Investigator. "Across the Universe? A Comparative Analysis of Violent Radicalization Across Three Offender Types with Implications for Criminal Justice Training and Education." Funded by the US National Institute of Justice. January 2014-January 2016. $531k.
- Co-Investigator. "FP7-RIBS. Resilient Infrastructure and Building Security." Funded by the European Commission, Seventh Framework Programme. November 2010 to October 2013. €3.2 million.
Dr Bouhana currently convenes the following Master's level courses at UCL: Perspectives on Terrorism (MSc in Countering Organised Crime and Terrorism) and Terrorism (BSc in Security and Crime Science).
- University College London
- Other Postgraduate qualification (including professional), ATQ01 - Successfully completed an institutional provision in teaching in the HE sector | 2010
- University of Cambridge
- Doctorate, Doctor of Philosophy | 2004
- University of Cambridge
- Other higher degree, Master of Philosophy | 1999
- Universite Jean Moulin (Lyon III)
- Other higher degree, Maitrise | 1998
- Universite Lumiere (Lyon II)
- Other higher degree, Diplome d'etudes approfondies | 1996
Dr Noemie Bouhana is Associate Professor in Security and Crime Science at University College London, where she directs the MSc in Countering Organised Crime and Terrorism and leads the Counter-Terrorism Research Group. She has an undergraduate degree from the Institut d'Etudes Politiques, Lyon (France), a Maîtrise (MA) in Political Science from the Université Jean Moulin Lyon III, and an MPhil and PhD in Criminology from the University of Cambridge (UK).