Leading learning: developing as a lead practitioner
26 February 2020, 9:30 am–4:00 pm
A professional development opportunity for specialist leaders of education (SLE), Heads of Department and Lead Practitioners focused on developing the skills of those who lead learning in their schools or clusters.
UCL Institute of Education20 Bedford WayLondonWC1H 0ALUnited Kingdom
To develop your leadership skills so that you can:
- diagnose individual needs and personalised support to stretch and challenge colleagues
- understand and practise the skills for high quality professional conversations
- maximise opportunities and outcomes for all learners
- work alongside colleagues with varying needs to refine and develop their practice
- develop as a reflective professional and adaptive practitioner
- evaluate the impact you have on teacher practice and pupil learning.
Participants engage in three full days of face-to-face sessions, interspersed with focused school-based tasks. Sessions combine bursts of theory with practical activity. An essential feature of this programme is a small-scale assignment which enables participants to apply learning from the programme to their own practical leadership of learning within the school. Participants will be asked to share their learning and the difference they have made in the final session.
- Session one: The role of the leader of learning and planning for impact
- Developing a genuine client-centred model to get the most from teachers
- The cycle of effective contracting for support from diagnosis to successful outcome
- The role of coaching: listening skills, reflection and negotiation
- Planning for impact: changing leadership practices to improve pupil outcomes.
- Session two: Contracting and the power of talk
- Powerful conversations to improve learning
- Emotionally intelligent leadership
- Managing challenging conversations.
- Session three: Effecting powerful changes in practice
- The relative impact of models of support for teaching and learning
- Research about ‘good teaching’ and how we identify it
- Identifying next steps as a school, as a team, as individuals.
|Session one||26 February 2020 (9:30am-4pm)|
|Session two||25 March 2020 (9:30am-4pm)|
|Session three||6 May 2020 (9:30am-4pm)|
£600 per person.
Attending this programme has highlighted key areas I needed to develop in my leadership and given a focus to drive change and promote learning
Really helpful discussions with colleagues, time to think and reflect, excellent quality resources based on world-class research“
Image: Developing as a lead practitioner. Photo: © Kirsten Holst