Supporting the teaching and learning of Mandarin Chinese and the study of China across other areas of the curriculum.
The IOE Confucius Institute for Schools (IOE CI) supports schools in starting and developing the teaching and learning of Mandarin Chinese and the study of China across other areas of the curriculum.
Schools across the country are increasingly offering Mandarin Chinese as an option for their students.
The IOE CI is a bilateral project with Peking University and Peking University High School and supported by the Office of Chinese Language Council International, Hanban.
As well as a small team of specialists in London, the IOE CI has a network of 45 Confucius Classrooms across England, schools which have both Chinese firmly embedded in their own curriculum and which give advice, support and taster classes to other schools in their region looking to start offering Chinese.
- To work to secure a major expansion in the teaching and learning of Mandarin Chinese throughout the English school system.
- To work to secure a major expansion in teaching and learning about China throughout the English school system.
- To enable Chinese and English schools to have constructive and successful school partnerships and for teachers and learners in the school systems in both countries to learn from each other.
- Our staff
Director & Pro-Vice-Provost for East Asia
firstname.lastname@example.org, +44 (0) 20 7612 6663
IOE Confucius Institute Team
Matthew Schofield, General Manager
email@example.com, +44 (0) 20 7612 6692
Xiaoming Zhu, National Coordinator
firstname.lastname@example.org, +44 (0) 20 7612 6558
Philippa Vallely, Teacher Training Co-ordinator
email@example.com, +44 (0) 20 7911 5587
Kay McLeod, MEP Coordinator
firstname.lastname@example.org, +44 (0)20 7331 5198
Sam Gray, MEP Project Manager
email@example.com, +44 (0)20 7331 5234
Nicola Larkin, Project Officer
firstname.lastname@example.org, +44 (0) 20 7612 6684
Yasmin Lambert, Project Officer
email@example.com, +44 (0) 20 7331 5190
Naomi Li, Project Officer
firstname.lastname@example.org, +44 (0) 20 7612 6697
Greg Walker, MEP Project Officer
email@example.com, +44 (0)20 7612 6021
Find more about our researchers, publications, activities, groups and themes: UCL Research Portal, IRIS
- Supporting the mainstreaming of Chinese teaching across schools in England, acting as a central point for queries and advice, by phone and through its e-forum and organising an annual conference for teachers of Chinese.
- Developing and promoting teaching materials suitable for use in English schools.
- Training local teachers of Chinese.
- Training teachers sent from China to support development work in schools new to Chinese.
- Advancing research on the learning of Chinese as a foreign language at school level, providing a secure basis for future thinking and developments in the field.
- Supporting the development of appropriate accreditation - both with English Examination Boards and using YCT/HSK proficiency tests.
- Encouraging IOE Confucius Classrooms to hold a range of appropriate cultural activities.
- Supporting the development of teaching about China in schools.
- Working with Chinese and English partner schools on bilateral programmes at teacher and student level.
- Organising annual student language learning visits to China to enhance language acquisition.
- Leading the Mandarin Excellence Programme (MEP) in partnership with the British Council and on behalf of the Department for Education.