Investigating the role of lifelong learning in promoting economic competitiveness and social cohesion.
Head of Centre: Professor Andy Green
The Centre for Learning and Life Chances in Knowledge Economies and Societies (LLAKES) researches the connections between learning and the promotion of economic competitiveness and social cohesion.
We aim to work with policymakers, education and training professionals, employers, trade unions and other interested parties to improve the way in which national and international research evidence is shared and used.
- Our staff
Director of Centre
- Germ Janmaat, Theme Leader (Theme Three)
- Claire Callender, Project Leader
- Alison Fuller, Project Leader
- David Guile, Project Leader
- Francis Green, Theme Leader (Theme Two)
- Geoff Mason, Project Leader
- Lucinda Platt, Project Leader
- Ingrid Schoon, Theme Leader (Theme One)
- Martin Weale, Project Leader
- Susanne Wiborg, Project Leader
Honorary LLAKES Professor
- Karen Evans
- Lorna Unwin
- Helen Cheng, Visiting Research Associate
- Ian Craig, Visiting Professor (linked partly to LLAKES)
- Richard Dorsett, Contributing Academic
- Ann Margaret Doyle, Visiting Research Associate
- Sam Duncan, Contributing Academic
- Alan Felstead, Visiting Professor
- Susan Halford, Contributing Academic
- Bryony Hoskins, Contributing Academic
- Avril Keating, Contributing Academic
- Pauline Leonard, Contributing Academic
- Kate Lyle, Contributing Academic
- Michela Franceschelli, Contributing Academic
- Rachel Wilde, Contributing Academic
- Andrew Jenkins, Contributing Academic
- Ann-Charlotte Teglborg, Contributing Academic
- Joshua Ka Ho Mok, Contributing Academic
- Geoff Mason, Visiting Professor
- Peter Mayo, Visiting Professorial Fellow
- Rebecca Riley, Contributing Academic
- Peter Taylor-Gooby, Contributing Academic
- Anna Vignoles, Contributing Academic
LLAKES Centre has been funded by the Economic and Social Research Council (ESRC) and hosted by IOE since 2008.
We welcome contributions through our website and attendance at our open seminars from anyone interested in our research programme.
Key areas of research
- Social and cultural foundations of learning, knowledge production and transfer, and innovation, within the context of a changing economy, and
- Effects of knowledge and skill distribution on income equality, social cohesion and competitiveness.
We have a programme of multi-disciplinary and mixed method research which addresses these issues at the level of the individual life course, through studies of city-regions and sectors in the UK, and through comparative analysis across OECD countries.
Our work at the LLAKES Centre (Phase 2) is organised around three Themes:
Theme 1: Youth, Inter-generational Mobility, and Civic Values
Theme 2: Learning, Work and the Economy
Theme 3: Education, Inequality and Social Cohesion
See more about LLAKES research projects and publications: