Ms. Sarah Mkenda
Head of Occupational Therapy
Kilimanjaro Christian Medical Centre /Kilimanjaro Christian Medical College,
Dr. Stella-Maria Paddick
Institute of Neuroscience
Newcastle upon Tyne, UK
CST Research Projects
A controlled trial of CST in dementia finished in 2018 in the Hai district, northern Tanzania. This work formed part of the IDEA study- Identification and Interventions for Dementia in Elderly Africans which was a three year programme funded by Grand Challenges Canada. The Northumbria and Moshi teams are now taking part in the CST-International Research Programme, funded by the UK Medical Research Council and the Indian Council of Medical Research.
Translation of the CST manual
The manual has been adapted for use in sub-Saharan Africa and is currently in English only. It is currently unpublished but Dr Paddick can forward a copy by email if required.
- Gray, W. K., Paddick, S., Kisoli, A., Dotchin, C., Longdon, A. R., Chaote, P., . . . Walker, R. W. (2014). Development and validation of the Identification and Intervention for Dementia in Elderly Africans (IDEA) study dementia screening instrument. Journal of Geriatric Psychiatry and Neurology, 27(2), 110-118.
- Mkenda, S., Olakehinde, O., Mbowe, G., Siwoku, A., Kisoli, A., Paddick, S., . . . Ogunniyi, A. (2016). Cognitive stimulation therapy as a low-resource intervention for dementia in sub-Saharan Africa (CST-SSA): adaptation for rural Tanzania and Nigeria. Dementia, 17(4), 515-530. doi:10.1177/1471301216649272
- Paddick, S. M., Gray, W. K., Ogunjimi, L., lwezuala, B., Olakehinde, O., Kisoli, A., . . . Ogunniyi, A. (2015a). Validation of the Identification and Intervention for Dementia in Elderly Africans (IDEA) cognitive screen in Nigeria and Tanzania. BMC Geriatrics, 15(53). doi:10.1186/s12877-015-0040-1
- Paddick, S. M., Mkenda, S., Mbowe, G., Kisoli, A., Gray, W. K., Dotchin, C., . . . et al. (2015b). Cognitive stimulation therapy (CST) as a sustainable intervention for dementia in low-resource settings: results of a controlled trial in rural Tanzania. Alzheimer's & dementia, 11(7 SUPPL. 1), P322.
- Paddick, S. M., Kisoli, A., Mkenda, S., Mbowe, G., Gray, W. K., Dotchin, C., . . . Walker, R. W. (2017a). Adaptation and validation of the Alzheimer’s Disease Assessment Scale – Cognitive (ADAS-Cog) in a low-literacy setting in sub-Saharan Africa. Acta Neuropsychiatrica, 29(4), 244-251. doi:10.1017/neu.2016.65
- Paddick, S. M., Mkenda, S., Mbowe, G., Kisoli, A., Gray, W. K., Dotchin, C., . . . Mushi, D. (2017b). Cognitive stimulation therapy as a sustainable intervention for dementia in sub-Saharan Africa: feasibility and clinical efficacy using a stepped-wedge design. International Psychogeriatrics, 29(6), 979-989. doi:10.1017/S1041610217000163.