Our interests include:
- The use of genetic strategies (from candidate gene-environment interaction studies to those of evolutionary selection)
- The use of 'big data' and artificial intelligence/ machine learning to address clinical management
- Adaptation to hypoxia
- The regulation of muscle mass and wasting, especially in the context of critical illness
- The measurement of total circulating haemoglobin mass and plasma volume in health and disease
- Human skeletal remodelling
- The biology of ketones, with a special emphasis on neuroprotection
- Nutritional approaches in critical illness
- New approaches to treating muscle disease
- Assessment of hydration status, and management of fluid balance in hospital settings.
Professor Montgomery also has a strong interest in human health and climate change, and co-directs the Wellcome Trust-funded Lancet Countdown on Health and Climate Change.
Key Collaborators include
Professor Mike Grocott (UCL and Southampton), Dr Gianpiero Cavalleri (Ireland), Dr Andrew Murray (Cambridge), and scientists at Deepmind Health (London). In terms of climate change, key collaborators include Professor Peng Gong (China), Professor Peter Byass (Umea, Sweden), and UCL Professors Anthony Costello, Paul Ekins, Tadj Oreszczyn, and Georgina Mace.