The UCL Grand Challenges Small Grants scheme stimulates new cross-disciplinary collaborations between researchers from different academic units, in order to address societally significant problems.
These collaborations can also include external partners as additional academic or non-academic collaborators.
These Small Grants are part of the UCL Grand Challenges approach, our method of creating solid, lasting collaborations between academic disciplines at UCL.
Since 2009, the UCL Grand Challenges have awarded 174 small grants, worth over £700k.
- Global Health: 45 awards worth over £180k (since 2009/10)
- Sustainable Cities: 44 awards worth over £190k (since 2010/11)
- Cultural Understanding: 32 awards worth over £125k (since 2011/12)
- Human Wellbeing: 37 awards worth over £135k (since 2011/12)
- Justice & Equality: 9 awards worth over £35k (since 2016/17)
- Transformative Technology: 7 awards over £24k (since 2016/17)