Masterclass: Advancing Practice in Hypermobility
The masterclass includes presentations and workshops led by a team of national and internationally recognised specialists and researchers.
Who is the masterclass for?
Medical, health and exercise professionals who wish to gain further knowledge and advance their clinical practice in assessing and management of children and adults with joint hypermobility, Hypermobility Spectrum Disorder and hypermobile - Ehlers Danlos Syndrome (hEDS) and common comorbidities. The new criteria for diagnosis will be presented alongside the international assessment and management guidelines.
When is it?
Saturday 24th June 2017
Where will it take place?
University College London, Wolfson Centre: Mecklenburgh Square, WC1N 2AD
By the end of the course, participants should:
- Have an understanding of the spectrum of hypermobility related problems and common comorbidities in children and adults
- Be able to apply advanced clinical reasoning skills in the assessment and management for individuals with hypermobility related problems in the context of the evolving evidence base and contemporary theory
- Justify and apply client centred strategies and techniques to facilitate management of pain and fatigue and to motivate and facilitate behaviour change in patients with HSD and hEDS-HT
- Select suitable outcome measures aligned to the International Classification of Functioning Framework
- Consider service developments for private and public health sectors
Course facilitators include:
Dr Hanadi Kazkaz MD MRCP MSc
Consultant Rheumatologist University College London Hospital, Honorary Senior Lecturer at University College London. Chief Medical advisor to Ehlers Danlos Support UK, Advisor to the HMSA. EDS International Consortium
Dr Helen Cohen MD MRCP PhD
Consultant Rheumatologist and Pain Specialist. National Orthopaedic Hospital, Stanmore. Medical advisor to Ehlers Danlos Support UK and HMSA, EDS International Consortium
Dr Jane Simmonds MCSP MMACP SFHEA DProf, MA
Senior Teaching Fellow Great Ormond Street Institute of Child Health, University College London and Specialist Physiotherapist Hypermobility Unit, Hospital of St John and St Elizabeth London; Medical advisor to the HMSA and EDS Support UK, Chair international Physical Therapy guidelines working group
Dr Rumi Peynovska MD, MSc Neuroscience
Medical Director, Verba Vita, London, past president of Hypnosis and Psychosomatic Medicine, Royal Society of Medicine. Combines knowledge of medicine, neuroscience and psychotherapy to enhance communication between practitioners and clients and to facilitate self-management programmes
Dr Ann McCarthy MCSP PhD MSc
Senior Physiotherapist, Hypermobility Unit, Hospital of St John and St Elizabeth. London Expert clinician, educator and researcher. Specific interests include lower limb biomechanics and functional restoration programmes.
Dr Carol Clark MCSP SFHEA MMACP PhD MSc
Dr Clark is a specialist musculoskeletal physiotherapist and Associate Professor at Bournemouth University. Her PhD and subsequent research is focussed on hypermobility and Developmental Coordination Disorder and the implications for assessment and treatment for individuals
Cost: £150 includes refreshments, lunch and online course notes and resources
For further information contact: firstname.lastname@example.org