Centre for Access to Justice


UCL and Hodge Jones & Allen Personal Injury Advice Clinic

If you have suffered a personal injury, get in touch for a free and confidential 30 minute advice session.

Our service 

The Hodge Jones & Allen Personal Injury Advice Clinic is a collaboration with the Hodge Jones & Allen and the UCL Centre for Access to Justice(CAJ) based at the UCL Faculty of Laws. UCL CAJ is responsible for processing your enquiry. As part of the enquiry process, a UCL Laws student may be in touch to ask you for some further details in order to prepare a case note in advance of your meeting. 

If we are able to offer advice, a UCL Laws student will again be in touch to schedule a remote meeting between you and an HJA solicitor for a free 30 minute advice session. Following your advice session, you will be provided with a written letter of advice. 

Make an Enquiry

To make an enquiry, please complete this short form. If you have any difficulties completing the form or need assistance, please email accesstojustice@ucl.ac.uk or phone 02031088388 and someone will be in touch to assist you. The form will ask for basic personal details and information about the accident and any injuries you suffered. 

For details on how we handle your data, please see UCL/HJA Personal Injury Advice Clinic Privacy Notice


What is a personal injury claim?

A personal injury claim is a claim for compensation for a physical injury, or a psychological injury/condition that has been caused through the fault or negligence of someone else. In cases where an accident results in death, there may also be a fatal accident claim.
Your personal injury claim may be the result of the following:

  • An accident at work
  • A car or road traffic collision - as a driver, cyclist or pedestrian
  • An accident in a public place (known as public liability)
  • Accidents in other premises (known as occupiers’ liability)
  • Injuries caused by defective products.

If you have suffered a personal injury, it can be detrimental to the quality of your life, either temporarily throughout the healing process, or permanently in cases of severe, life-changing or catastrophic injuries. In either instance, there is often a basis for a claim for compensation as recompense for the damages caused by the incident. Early rehabilitation and medical treatment required will also be arranged.

What can I claim for?

You can claim for your actual injuries, the pain and suffering experienced and for the impact on different aspects of your work and social life. Additionally, consideration will be given to how your injuries might affect your future life. Specialist medical reports will often be obtained.
You can also claim for past and future financial losses and expenses such as loss of earnings and the cost of any treatments you may need to aid your recovery.

What evidence do I need to provide for a personal injury claim?

It’s important to provide your solicitor and student advisor with as much information as possible when seeking advice. You will need as many details you can provide about the incident itself including the date, time and any documents and witness details that could help with your injury claim.
You’ll also need to provide your solicitor and student advisor with a detailed description of what happened, who you think is responsible and why. You will need to be able to prove that your injuries were caused because of the negligence of someone else. If you have been injured in the last three years through no fault of your own, we can help with free initial advice.