" This was our second time attending the festival, and we’ll definitely be back. The two lectures were excellent, very well pitched for all abilities with ample time for questions at the end. The speakers’ enthusiasm and beautifully illustrated presentations were a complete joy, and the other activities taking place during the day in the quad and cloisters were also very enjoyable. Highly recommended to anyone with an interest in the universe! " S.B. March 15th, 2010
THE TENTH UCL FESTIVAL OF ASTRONOMY AND PARTICLE PHYSICS FOR SCHOOLS, FAMILIES AND THE GENERAL PUBLIC WILL TAKE PLACE ON
MARCH 26th, 27th AND 28th 2015
Location of the UCL Supernova in the Galaxy M82 (discovery information here)
- PLAY GOD by building the Universe from the big bang to our days, along our 14 metre long time line.
- Learn about how stars are born, live and die in The lives of stars and how we can trace their lives in the clever HR diagram.
- Admire the MAGIC PLANET, a spherical projection able to reproduce any planet or star with all its motions, colours and landscapes.
- Identify tiny images of galaxies and witness the expansion of the Universe in our Cosmology exhibit.
- Find out how the rainbow can tell us so much about the Universe and use our portable spectroscopes to identify the chemistry of light in Rainbows, atoms and stars.
- Learn how despite the difficulties of detecting planets around other stars, we have now evidence for thousands of extrasolar planets.
- Attend our popular LECTURES (information here)
Jupiter as seen with a small telescope
- Use our special TELESCOPES to look at the sun, the moon and the giant planet Jupiter (weather permitting).
- VENUE: University College London, Gower street (WC1E 6BT)Please only use the main UCL gate in Gower Street (nearest tube Euston Square)
- WEEKDAYS DAYTIME: PRE-BOOKED SCHOOL GROUPS: PRIMARY Years 5 AND 6 only 11:00h - 13:00h; SECONDARY 15:00h - 17:00
- WEEKDAYS EVENINGS FOR GENERAL PUBLIC: Lectures and telescope sessions (weather permitting)
- SATURDAY: 14:00h - 18:00h SCHOOLS AND GENERAL PUBLIC
- FOR SCHOOL BOOKINGS and GENERAL INFORMATION please contact:
Website last updated 18th December 2014