Professor Valerie Isham
|Position||Professor of Probability and Statistics|
|Phone (external)||020 7679 1868|
|Themes||Stochastic Modelling and Time Series, Biostatistics|
has a PhD in Statistics from the University of London (Imperial College) for a
thesis on multidimensional point processes. She joined UCL in 1978 and has been
a professor since 1992. She was previously Head of Department from 1996-2002
and again from 2010-2011. She was President of the Royal Statistical Society in
2011 and 2012, and has represented the RSS on the Council for Mathematical
Sciences since 2010. She currently chairs the Scientific Steering Committee of
the Isaac Newton Institute for Mathematical Sciences in Cambridge, and the
Biometrika Board of Trustees.
Applied probability: broadly, the development and application of stochastic models, including i) the generic development of models for point processes and determination of their properties; ii) development of models for spatial and spatio-temporal processes arising in the physical sciences, and especially in hydrology (eg soil moisture and precipitation); iii) models for applications in the life and medical sciences, focussing particularly on population processes, epidemics and the transmission dynamics of infection and information; iv) models for random networks and for the dynamics of processes evolving on them.
- Kaczmarska, J., Isham, V. and Onof, C.J. (2014) Point Process Models for fine-resolution rainfall. Hydrological Sciences Journal to appear. Available online http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/02626667.2014.925558.
- Chandler, R.E., Isham, V.S., Northrop, P.J., Wheater, H.S., Onof, C.J. and Leith, N.A. (2014) Uncertainty in Rainfall Inputs. Applied Uncertainty Analysis for Flood Risk Management eds K. Beven and J. Hall. World Scientific/Imperial College Press. pp 101--152.
- Bottomley, C., Roca, A., Hill, P., Greenwood, B. and Isham, V. (2013) A mathematical model of serotype replacement in pneumococcal carriage following vaccination. J. Roy. Soc. Interface, 10 20130786; doi:10.1098/rsif.2013.0786.
- Isham, V., Kaczmarska, J. and Nekovee, M. (2011) Spread of information and infection on finite random networks. Physical Review, E 83.046128 http://link.aps.org/doi/10.1103/PhysRevE.83.046128.
- Isham, V. (2010) Spatial point process models. In Handbook of Spatial Statistics eds Gelfand, A, Diggle, PJ, Fuentes, M and Guttorp, P. Chapman and Hall/CRC, pp285-300.
- Isham, V, Harden, S and Nekovee, M. (2009) Stochastic epidemics and rumours on finite random networks. Physica A, 389, 561-576. doi:10.1016/j.physa.2009.10.001.
- Bottomley, C, Isham, V, Collins, R and Basanez, M-G. (2008) Rates of microfilarial production by Onchocerca volvulus are not cumulatively reduced by multiple ivermectin treatments. Parasitology 135, 1571-1581. doi:10.1017/S0031182008000425.