Modes and duration
- Full-time: 3 years
Tuition Fees (2015/16)
- £24,410 (FT)
- £41,410 (FT)
- All applicants:
- 9 January 2015
All applicants must normally hold an approved dental qualification and have a minimum of two years' clinical experience post-qualification.
English language requirement: Good
If your education has not been conducted in the English language, you will be expected to demonstrate evidence of an adequate level of English proficiency.
International applicants can find out the equivalent qualification for their country by selecting from the list below.
Select your country:
Equivalent qualifications for Algeria
The programme offers students the ability to assess and manage the periodontal needs of a patient and to become competent in the presentation, diagnosis and management of all known diseases and disorders of the periodontium.
Students undertake modules to the value of 540 credits.
Year one, students complete core modules to the value of (180 credits). Year two, students complete core modules to the value of (180 credits). Year three, students complete core modules to the value of (120 credits) and a dissertation (60 credits).
- Investigation Leading to MClinDent in Periodontology Dissertation 1
- Periodontal Therapy 2: Advanced Periodontal Therapy
- Periodontal Therapy 1: Non-surgical and Basic Surgical Therapy
- Periodontal Clinical Care 1
- Clinical Care Core Course (Periodontology)
- Scientific Basis of Periodontology
- Principles of Treatment Core Course (Periodontology)
- Periodontal Clinical Care 2
- Periodontal Clinical Care 3
- Investigation Leading to MClinDent in Periodontology Dissertation 2
- Periodontal Therapy 3: Implants and Restorative Dentistry
- Periodontal Clinical Care 4
- There are no optional modules for this programme.
Each student undertakes an independent research project which culminates in a dissertation of approximately 13,000–15,000 words.
Teaching and Learning
The programme is delivered through seminars, tutorials, individual and small group teaching, self-directed learning, and practical clinical and experiential learning; with maximum exposure to clinical methodologies and management of patients with periodontal diseases. Assessment is through written, oral and practical examinations, clinical assessments, case presentations, patient logbooks and the dissertation.
More scholarships are listed on the scholarships website
The programme offers the intensive knowledge and clinical expertise necessary to practice periodontics at a specialist level.
Top career destinations for this degree
- Self Employed , Peridontologist, 2010,
- Self Employed Dentist, Peridontologist, 2010,
- Mount Oval Dental Practice, Periodontist, 2009,
- Greek Air Force, Dental Officer, 2009,
- Royal Navy, Clinical Director, 2011,
Following completion of the programme, graduates have joined or started dental practices in the UK, EU and overseas working in the field of periodontics and implant dentistry. Some graduates continued their career by following clinically related PhD programmes and have been appointed in academic positions in Dental Schools in UK and overseas. A number of international graduates received prestigious governmental positions in their countries.
Why study this degree at UCL?
The programme is the only programme in the UK to be accredited by the European Federation of Periodontology, and the unit is an ITI Scholarship Centre. Students benefit from first-class facilities and access to a wide range of clinical cases and techniques as well as internationally renowned speakers and honorary staff members.
Find out more about the programme on the institute's Periodontology MClinDent page.
Student / staff ratios › 80 staff › 420 taught students › 62 research students
Department: Eastman Dental Institute
Application and next steps
Students are advised to apply as early as possible due to competition for places. Those applying for scholarship funding (particularly overseas applicants) should take note of application deadlines.
Who can apply?
The programme is suitable for dental practitioners who want to develop the intensive knowledge and clinical skills necessary to specialise in periodontics and surgical elements of implant dentistry, for further training, research, or a career in this field.
- All applicants
For more information see our Applications page.Apply now
What are we looking for?
- When we assess your application we would like to learn:
- how your academic and professional background meets the demands of this programme
- why you want to study periodontology at graduate level
- what particularly attracts you to this programme
- where you would like to go professionally with your degree and how this programme meets your needs.
- Together with essential academic requirements, the personal statement is your opportunity to illustrate whether your reasons for applying to this programme match what the programme will deliver.