International Students

International Students/Scholarships

Mathematics knows no national boundaries. That is why each year we are pleased to welcome students, both undergraduate and graduate, from every part of the world. UCL has several brochures and leaflets specifically for international students. The College also has a number of scholarships for international (non UK/EU) students Details of all these can be obtained from the College scholarships webpage.

University Preparatory Certificates

International students of high academic ability, but whose qualifications are not equivalent to the British system, should consider applying for a UCL University Preparatory Certificate (UPC). These are high-quality one-year undergraduate foundation courses, run by UCL, which aim to help such students gain access to degree programmes at UCL and other leading British universities across a broad range of subject areas.

These courses are not intended for students who have taken, or are taking, A levels or the International Baccalaureate Diploma.

Further details can be obtained from
The Language Centre, University College London, Gower Street, London, WC1E 6BT
Tel: +44 (0) 20 7679 7722; Fax: +44(0) 20 7916 8512; E-mail: upcse AT
UPC website

Tier 4 Visa

Due to UK Immigration Rule changes which occurred on 6 April 2016, restrictions have been placed on Tier 4 students who wish to change programmes during their studies at UCL.

These changes affect those Tier 4 students who wish to change to a higher level qualification. If you obtain a visa to study on the BSc programme and wish to change to the MSci, you will be required to apply for a new Tier 4 visa from outside the UK in order to complete your final year of study.

Tier 4 visa holders will also no longer be permitted to change to a programme which is at a lower academic level than the programme for which they received a CAS without first applying for a new Tier 4 visa from outside the UK. This means that those who obtain a CAS for the MSci programme will not be able to switch to the BSc programme without first obtaining a new Tier 4 visa from outside the UK.

If you are required to apply for a new visa from outside the UK, it is likely that you will be asked to attend a credibility interview where a Home Office member of staff will ask you about your programme, where you want to study and your reasons for studying in the UK.

If you have any questions about the UK Visas and Immigration rules, please email