UCL Library Services
- About us
- Electronic resources
- Libraries and study spaces
- Opening hours
- Open Access
- Special Collections, Archives & Exhibitions
- Getting help
- Contact us
- A-Z of the library
Open access for Wellcome Trust and other medical funders
Six medical research charities have formed the Charity Open Access Fund (COAF): Arthritis Research UK, Breast Cancer Campaign, the British Heart Foundation, Cancer Research UK, Leukaemia & Lymphoma Research and the Wellcome Trust.
If your research is funded by any of these funders, you must comply with their open access requirements (see below). For other medical funders, see our other funders page.
These funders prefer Gold open access, and UCL has funding from them to pay Gold fees. Provided your publisher complies with their Gold requirements, you are strongly advised to choose this option.
The policy requirements are set out below. Visit our Funding page to arrange payment of Gold fees.
Conditions for Gold
If your journal's Gold option does not meet these requirements, comply using Green open access:
- Your publisher must allow you to make your final accepted manuscript open access in Europe PubMed Central no later than six months after publication
- Use Europe PMC plus to self-archive articles within 3 months of acceptance (this ensures that you also comply with the REF open access policy)
- Some publishers (e.g. Nature) will deposit manuscripts for you - make sure that they know about the paper's funding
- Use the Wellcome book deposit form to self-archive Wellcome-funded books and book chapters
Failure to comply may affect your funding: some funders withhold portions of existing grants, and refuse future funding, if papers do not comply.
Contact the Open Access Team to find out which options are available to you.
- Arthritis Research UK
- Breast Cancer Campaign
- British Heart Foundation
- Cancer Research UK
- Leukaemia & Lymphoma Research
- Wellcome Trust | Wellcome authors' FAQs
Page last modified on 04 dec 14 17:42
Follow us on Twitter for open access updates: @UCLopenaccess