Adobe Licensing has changed and is moving towards a subscription model in this page we will explain the differences.
UCL used to be able to purchase perpetual licenses for all Adobe products on the current version available. The current perpetual licence is CS6 and has been for at least a year. Adobe has no plans to upgrade this type of licensing to CS7 and CS6 will be stop being available on the 21 February 2015.
The New way of licensing Adobe, is by a yearly subscription model called Creative Cloud for Education. Which will give you access to the latest updates at no extra cost for the year.
You have two options when purchasing this license either by Device or Named-User licensing.
- A Named user licence will allow you to install the software on up to 2 devices for one named user only.
- A Device licence is for one machine only but can be used by multiple users on that one machine.
Products available for the new Creative cloud licensing are:
Creative Cloud Complete which includes
Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign, Dreamweaver, Premiere Pro, After Effects, Acrobat XI Pro, Muse, Audition, bridge, Edge, Encore, Fireworks, Flash, InCopy, Lightroom, Media Encoder, Preluide, SpeedGrade.
Individual Apps are:
Audition, Muse, After Effects, Dreamweaver, Edge Animate, Edge Inspect, Flash Pro, Illustrator, InCopy, InDesign, Photoshop, Prelude, Premiere Pro, SpeedGrade
- Where has CS6 gone?
Adobe CS6 products are no longer available to purchase. Only Adobe CC complete suite or single app (s) can now be purchased, these are either a named user license or a device license.
- How do I purchase Creative Cloud?
Please email the IT Purchasing team for questions or quotes. When ordering please give us the users email address.
- I see Adobe do CC for Student and Teachers which is cheaper. Can I purchase this to use on UCL machines?
No this licence is for home use and not to be used on UCL machines.
- Can I upgrade from CS6 to Creative Cloud (CC) in a years time?
No you will need to purchase CC from scratch at the education price.
- What happens if I don't renew the CC licence after its first year?
You will lose access to the software
- Can I use the software I download from Creative Cloud on multiple computers?
Yes, you can install and activate Creative Cloud desktop applications on two computers, regardless of operating system, for the individual associated with the Creative Cloud membership
- How often will Adobe be adding new features to Creative Cloud?
Adobe plans to add new applications, features, and updates to Creative Cloud on an ongoing basis. As these features become available, notifications are sent to users through their activity stream in the Creative Cloud desktop app. Customers can also keep up to date on what's new in Creative Cloud by following the Creative Cloud blog
- Do my files need to be stored in the cloud?
No. Your files remain on your local hard drive, there is no off storage with creative cloud for Education.
- Do I need ongoing Internet access to use my Adobe Creative Cloud desktop applications?
No. Your Creative Cloud desktop applications (such as Adobe Photoshop and Illustrator) are installed directly on your computer, so you won't need an ongoing Internet connection to use them on a daily basis.
An Internet connection is required the first time you install and license your desktop apps, but you can use the apps in offline mode with a valid software license. The desktop apps will attempt to validate your software licenses every 30 days.
For annual members, you can use the apps for up to 99 days in offline mode.
- Do the new Creative Cloud desktop apps support Mac OS X v10.6?
To take advantage of all the great features in the new Creative Cloud desktop apps, customers should upgrade to a newer version of Mac OS X. Some of the new CC apps do not support v10.6 and will not install. Minimum system requirements for each Creative Cloud app can be found on the tech specs page on Adobe.com.
- Can I licence my whole department at a reduced cost?
- How do I get support issues fixed?
For access to the Creative cloud please contact the Purchasing team for all other queries please see https://helpx.adobe.com/creative-cloud/topics/getting-started.html
- What will happen to Design Premium?
Design Premium CS6 is no longer available and the only option you have is Adobe Creative cloud suite or individual apps.