Centre for Language, Literacy and Numeracy: Research & Practice
Supporting theoretical and applied research in the areas of spoken and written language and developing and understanding between language, literacy and numeracy.
Director: Professor Julie Dockrell
The Centre for Language, Literacy and Numeracy: Research & Practice (LLNR&P) is a cross-departmental unit within the UCL Institute of Education.
We draw on a wide range of expertise from psychology, education, and speech and language therapy, aiming to identify the ways in which language and literacy skills work together to support learning and attainment.
Our distinctive focus is on the link between theory and practice and the evaluation of interventions to support oral language, literacy and numeracy competencies.
- Our staff
Director of Centre
Professor Julie Dockrell
Professor Rob Savage, Professor of Psychology
Gill Brackenbury, SENJIT director
Professor Richard Cowan, Professor of Psychology of Education
Dr Roberto Filippi, Senior Lecturer in Psychology and Special Educational Needs
Angela Hobsbaum, Researcher
Professor Jane Hurry, Professor of Psychology of Education
Dr Chloë Marshall, Professor of Psychology, Language and Education, Director of the ALLICC lab
Professor Jackie Masterson, Professor of Psychology of Reading
Dr Julie Radford, Senior Lecturer
Professor Morag Stuart, Professor in the Psychology of Reading
Dr Emma Sumner, Lecturer in Psychology and Special Educational Needs
Professor Dominic Wyse, Professor of Early Childhood and Primary Education
Find more about our researchers, publications, activities, groups and themes: UCL Research Portal, IRIS
Associates and visiting fellows
Dr Barbara Arfè, EdPsyLab, DPSS, University of Padua, Italy
Ambra Fastelli, EdPsyLab, DPSS, University of Padua, Italy
Dr Ioanna Bakopoulou, UCL Institute of Education
Dr Lucie Broc, BCL, University of Nice Sophia Antipolis
Dr Susan Ebbels, Moor House School and UCL
Dr Frances Hampson-Jones, Former PhD Student
Dr Karin Keller, University of Basel, Switzerland
Dr Anna Llaurado, University of Barcelona, Spain
Dr Jeni Riley, UCL Institute of Education, Visiting Fellow
Professor Rhona Stainthorp, University of Reading, UK
Dr Joanna Vivash (DEdPsy), Cambridgeshire Community Educational Psychology Service, UK
PhD and EdD students
Recent projects include:
- Revision of the national curriculum for English
- The Better Communication Research Project (The Communication Trust website) - Watch BCRP 1: What is the Better Communication Research Programme? (video)
- Involvement in the COST action "An integrated and inclusive approach to language and literacy in Europe" (European Literacy Network website) - See newsletters.
Most recent papers include:
- Dockrell, J. E., Howell P., Leung D., Fugard A. J. B. (2017). Children with Speech Language and Communication Needs in England: Challenges for Practice. Frontiers in Education, 2, 35.
- D’Souza, D., & Filippi, R. (2017). Progressive modularization: Reframing our understanding of typical and atypical language development. First Language.
- Marshall, C. R., Jones, A., Fastelli, A., Atkinson, J., Botting, N. and Morgan, G. (2017). Semantic fluency in deaf children who use spoken and signed language in comparison with hearing peers. International Journal of Language & Communication Disorders.
See full list of LLNR&P publications (pdf, 0.22MB).
For further details visit:
- UCL Research Portal, IRIS for information about our researchers, publications, activities, groups and themes
Areas of expertise
Our members have considerable expertise in the following areas:
- Oral and written language development
- Psychological processes in reading and spelling
- Specific learning difficulties
- Speech, language and literacy difficulties
- Typical and atypical language development
- Numerical skills development and difficulties
- Language development in deafness and hearing impairment.
We are currently involved in the revision of the national curriculum for English, in the COST action "an integrated and inclusive approach to language and literacy in Europe", in reviews for the nasen journals and in consultancy for the Educational Services of the Falkland Islands Government.
Julie Dockrell has been carrying a consultancy work in the Falklands Islands this February. This is quite a unique consultancy work commissioned by the Educational Services of the Falkland Islands Government. Julie spent two weeks advising the two schools of the island on their Special Educational Needs provision, assessing the needs and advising on appropriate arrangements.
Previous consultancy works include:
- Evaluation of Talk for writing (PDF, Education Endowment Foundation)
- Review of the independent report Provision for Children and Young People with Dyslexia
See more consultancy case studies.
For further information on our consultancy services, contact Professor Julie Dockrell.
Tools for practitioners
Resources produced by members of our centre useful for professionals and researchers:
Download: list of LLNR&P publications (PDF, 0.22mb).
For further details see:
- UCL Research Portal, IRIS to find more about our researchers, publications, activities, groups and themes.
Published: Dec 1, 2017 10:48:28 AM
Published: Oct 16, 2017 4:03:28 PM