Contacting HR

2nd Floor
Bidborough House
38-50 Bidborough St
London WC1H 9BT
Tel: +44 020 3108 8829

Work Permits - Guide to completing forms (Bulgarians and Romanians only)

For Bulgarian and Romanian nationals ONLY

For all other visa nationals go to the Certificate of Sponsorship guidance page.

Form WP1 - for new applications where the individual is currently NOT in the UK
Form WP2 - for new applications where the individual is currently IN the UK
Form WP3x - for extension applications (the individual must be in the UK)

For further information please contact the HR Consultancy Team directly.

The HR forms should be completed by the department (e.g. HOD, DA, PI, etc) not the individual concerned (work permit applicant).

Where the individual is in the UK at the time of the application, they will have to complete a separate form for extending or amending their Leave to Remain in the UK - Form FLR(IED). The Leave to Remain application carries a fee of £350 payable by the individual. However, when the FLR(IED) is forwarded to the HR Consultancy Team with the work permit application, UCL will pay this fee and process both applications.

HR forms should be emailed to your HR Assistant in the HR Consultancy Team. The signed form and all supporting documents must then be delivered to the HR Consultancy Team, 2nd Floor, Bidborough House, 38-50 Bidborough St, London WC1H 9BT (click for map), together with the completed Form FLR(IED) if appropriate.

 New applications for work permits

A work permit must be applied for by UCL as the employing authority. Please contact the HR Consultancy Team if your postholder will be paid other than through the UCL payroll, as the work permit may be refused.

Where the applicant is out of the UK at the time of the application, Work Permits (UK) considers the application and then issues a work permit. UKV&I currently aim to decide 70% of all work permit (including SBS) applications within 5 working days of receipt by their payment handling service and 90% within 15 working days. Our experience is that the UKV&I is not currently meeting their service level aspirations. Please allow plenty of additional time for the work permit request to be processed by UKV&I before planning any start dates. New employees cannot start work without a valid work permit. The HR Consultancy Team will contact the department as soon as the permit is received. The department must then arrange for the permit to be sent safely to the individual abroad.

The individual is then required to obtain prior entry clearance (for his/herself and any dependants) from the nearest British Consulate before coming to the UK.

Where the applicant is in the UK at the time of the application, Work Permits (UK) considers the application and issues an approval letter (Immigration Employment Document, or IED). A separate application for Leave to Remain in the UK is then required.

To apply for Leave to Remain in the UK as a work permit holder, the individual should complete the Form FLR(IED) and forward it to the HR Consultancy Team with the work permit application. We will process both applications, ensuring the Leave to Remain application is completed correctly and sent at the appropriate time, with the full fee.

Alternatively, if the individual does not wish to submit the Leave to Remain application to the HR Consultancy Team, they should forward the completed Form FLR(IED) directly to Work Permits (UK) only after the initial work permit approval has been received by UCL. In this case the individual is responsible for paying the £350 consideration fee. This fee is payable regardless of the outcome of the application. On approval of Further Leave to Remain in the UK, please ensure copies of the relevant passport pages are forwarded to the HR Consultancy Team, confirming the original has been seen.

(Q13, HR Form WP1)

Most work permit holders need prior entry clearance to come to the UK. UKvisas is a joint Home Office and Foreign & Commonwealth Office unit which runs the UK's visa service through British Diplomatic Posts overseas. The website will tell you whether the individual needs a visa to enter the UK, how to apply for one and where the nearest British Diplomatic Post is located.

Detailed information must be given about the qualifications and experience of the individual.

This section requires you to explain why the skills and experience of the individual make them an excellent person for the post.

The person should have the skills, qualifications and experience to enable them to do the job on offer, as specified on the person specification. If the job on offer does not require specific qualifications, the person should have at least three years experience of doing the job, at N/SVQ level 3 or above. Work Permits (UK) do not take into account experience gained through working illegally in the UK.
Details of qualifications and work history should be supported by copies of the individual's academic and professional qualification certificates and by original, signed references/statements from the previous employer(s).

References/statements should be on headed notepaper and verify the person's relevant work experience. References/statements that only describe the person to be of good character are not appropriate.

hey must give the start and finish dates, details of the work and any experience that makes the person qualified to do the job. Emailed references/statements are not appropriate as they should be signed by the author.

If they are not in English, please send translations.

For certain professions where the person has to be registered with a UK professional organisation, for example, GMC NMC, GDC and RCVS, please provide the person's registration number - this is acceptable instead of references/statements from previous employers, including date checked and expiry date.

For individuals who do not have a three year employment history, include details of relevant studentships within the same period.

Detailed information must be given about the requirements for the post.

Either - the job must require the following qualifications:

or the job must require the following skills:

The pay and other conditions of employment should be at least equal to those normally given to a 'resident worker' doing similar work. In addition:

TWES permits are a specific type of work permit. The scheme enables UK employers to provide training for a professional or specialist qualification, or work experience to a person from abroad who needs permission to work in the United Kingdom.

The purpose is to enable individuals to gain skills and experience through work-based learning, which builds on their previous education and training and which they intend to use on their return overseas.
If the person is to fill a position that would otherwise be filled by a 'resident worker' you should apply for a normal work permit.

TWES permits are issued where a genuine need exists for a person to do:

For further information or if you think you need to apply for a TWES permit, please contact the HR Consultancy Team.

This category of permit is for employees of UK-based employers who are normally based outside of this country but who are required to work in the UK for regular periods of short-term employment.

MEWP applications must be made whilst the person is out of the country. MEWPs can be issued for a minimum of six months and a maximum of two years. You cannot apply for an extension, a fresh application must be submitted if a further period is required.

Possession of this type of work permit allows the person to undertake this employment without the need for their UK-based employer to obtain a fresh work permit every time they are required to work in this country.

A MEWP is not required by a person wishing to travel overseas for leisure or domestic purposes while they are employed in the UK.

Spouses, unmarried partners and/or dependants of Multiple Entry Work Permit holders must each have permission to work in and enter the UK.

The occupations that are included in the shortage occupations list change over time to reflect the labour market trends, an up to date list can be found on the UK Visas & Immigration website here .

In exceptional cases the HR Consultancy Team may have agreed that a recruitment search need not take place, e.g. redeployment. If the person currently holds a work permit for a similar post (at UCL or with another employer) we can request that Work Permits (UK) waive the requirement to carry out a recruitment search, however UCL's policy on Recruitment and Selection must be adhered to.

You need to provide complete details of how this post is similar to the one they already hold, with particular reference to the duties and responsibilities and the qualifications and skills required. The post needs to be of a similar nature otherwise you will need to send in details and evidence of any recruitment searches that have been done.

You should have advertised the job in the most appropriate medium for reaching suitably qualified or experienced 'settled workers'. This may be a professional journal or the relevant employment section of a national newspaper, or the website. The publications or other media you use should be readily available throughout the EEA. Please note that only advertising on the University of London Opportunities website may result in Work Permits (UK) refusing an application.

Advertisements should normally give:

To make sure that the results of the advertising reflect the current availability of the skills you need, the advertisement should be placed no more than six months before you apply for the work permit.

You should allow four weeks from the date the advertisement appears to receive applications.

The original advertisement must be submitted with the work permit application. This should be of the whole page of the publication, clearly showing the date and title of the publication used. The advertisement relating to the post should be clearly indicated. If the advertisement is not in English, please send a translation.

If you use internet advertising or any other way of recruiting, please enclose an explanation of why you consider this to be the most appropriate way of recruiting people in the EEA and evidence to confirm the method used, for example, invoices. Additionally, you will need to demonstrate to Work Permits (UK) the post on offer has been advertised on the internet for a minimum period of one week.

If a recruitment search did not take place please contact the HR Consultancy Team.

If the applicant is named on a grant award letter a copy of the letter must be attached to the application.

Form FLR(IED) if the applicant is in the UK and wishes UCL to process and pay for their application

Please be aware that submission of false or forged documents, or other misleading information, may result in refusal of applications. An employer who uses deception to obtain a work permit may by charged with a criminal offence under the Asylum & immigration Act 1996.

If you (or the individual) require any further information or have a query, please contact the HR Consultancy Team.


HR Policy team December 2008

1 A settled worker is ‘normally a resident of the UK/ EEA, with no immigration restriction on their length of stay, i.e. has the right to abode or indefinite leave to enter or remain in the UK’