- Taught programmes
- Short courses and CPD
- PhD Study
- Contact us
- Information for new students starting in 2014
INSTG073 - Advanced Trade Publishing
This module allows students to explore the world of trade publishing in detail, with an added emphasis on leadership and entrepreneurship. It will include a close look at genre publishing, regional and international contexts, and the challenges of both niche and mass-market publishing.
Learning Outcomes: By the end of this module, students will have a knowledge and understanding of:
- leadership and entrepreneurial contexts of trade publishing, and be encouraged to pursue future careers at senior level
- genre publishing, and an awareness and understanding of the challenges this creates
- the challenges of regional and international publishing
- the challenges of niche and mass-market publishing enterprises
Assessment: Business plan/ strategy document for future of a genre (3000 words or equivalent)
Optional module for: MA Publishing
Pre-requisites: Students must be registered on the MA Publishing programme
Timetable: Thursday 10.00- 13.00, term 2.
Guthrie, Richard. Publishing: Principles and Practice. (Sage, 2011).
Smith, Kelvin.The Publishing Business: From p-books to e-books. (AVA Publishing, 2012).
Students must also keep up to date with current publishing news by reading the following online resources regularly:
Book Brunch: www.bookbrunch.co.uk
Digital Book World: www.digitalbookworld.com
Page last modified on 17 dec 13 15:28