UCL logo




Bloomsbury Project

Bloomsbury Institutions


Hospital for Women

Also known as Hospital for the Diseases of Women

Not to be confused with the New Hospital for Women


It was founded in 1842 and opened in 1843 by Dr Protheroe Smith as the Hospital for the Diseases of Women, a specialist hospital for women

It was renamed the Hospital for Women in 1845

It was amalgamated with the Elizabeth Garrett Anderson Hospital in 1989, which in turn became part of the Obstetric Hospital at UCLH in 1999

What was reforming about it?

It was the first specialist gynaecological hospital in the country

Where in Bloomsbury

Its first location, from 1843, was 43 Red Lion Square; it remained there until it outgrew these premises, not long afterwards, moving to 30 Soho Square in early 1852 (Survey of London, vols 33–34, 1966)

Website of current institution

The successor institution is University College Hospital, part of University College London Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust (opens in new window)

Books about it

None found


Its extensive archives are held by University College London Hospital (UCLH) NHS Foundation Trust, ref. HW; details are available online via Access to Archives (opens in new window)

This page last modified 13 April, 2011 by Deborah Colville


Bloomsbury Project - University College London - Gower Street - London - WC1E 6BT - Telephone: +44 (0)20 7679 3134 - Copyright © 1999-2005 UCL

Search by Google