UCL logo




Bloomsbury Project

Bloomsbury Institutions


New Hospital for Women

Also known as St Mary’s Dispensary for Women/Elizabeth Garrett Anderson Hospital


It was founded by Elizabeth Garrett Anderson in 1866 as St Mary’s Dispensary for Women in Seymour Place

It was renamed the New Hospital for Women in 1872

In 1874 it moved to 222–224 Marylebone Road

It was renamed the Elizabeth Garrett Anderson Hospital after her death in 1917

It became one of the Royal Free group of teaching hospitals in 1948, on the foundation of the National Health Service (NHS)

It was recommended for closure in 1976 but a public campaign and a change of government saw the decision reversed and the Hospital re-opened in 1984

It became an outpatient-only facility in 1992

In 1999 it merged with the Obstetric Hospital at UCLH and moved to Huntley Street; demolition of this building began in 2009 to make way for a new UCLH Cancer Centre, the maternity and neo-natal services having transferred to a purpose-built Elizabeth Garrett Anderson Wing in UCLH on Euston Road in November 2008

What was reforming about it?

It was the country’s first proper hospital for women

Where in Bloomsbury

It moved to a new purpose-built building on the site of Somers Place West, Euston Road in 1890

This building also contained the Women’s Medical Institute on the ground floor

Website of current institution

The successor institution is University College Hospital, part of University College London Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust (opens in new window)

Books about it

Elizabeth Crawford, Enterprising Women: The Garretts and their Circle (2002)

Deborah Cherry and Lynne Walker, ‘Elizabeth Garrett Anderson: Image, Identity and Space in the Modernization of 19th-Century Medicine’, in Visual Culture in Britain, vol. 3, no. 2 (2002)

A catalogue of an exhibition of its history in 1977 was published

Information about the Euston Road building can be found in The Builder, 5 April 1890, 5 and Building News, 10 May 1890

A full book-length history of the Hospital remains to be written


Its extensive records are held in London Metropolitan Archives, ref. H13/EGA; there is a good account of them online via Access to Archives (opens in new window)

Records from 1905–1927 relating to its King Edward’s Hospital Fund applications are also held in London Metropolitan Archives, ref. A/KE/248/4; details are available via Access to Archives (opens in new window)

This page last modified 19 April, 2011 by Deborah Colville


Bloomsbury Project - University College London - Gower Street - London - WC1E 6BT - Telephone: +44 (0)20 7679 3134 - Copyright © 1999-2005 UCL

Search by Google