XClose

UCL 2034

Communicating and engaging: review of progress

In today’s globalised environment, we need to ensure that UCL is fully engaged with our increasingly interconnected world, projecting our values, work and the benefits that we deliver for society.

Case study: UCL Instagram channel

UCL’s Communications and Marketing team have been developing the @ucl Instagram account to create an engaging and positive channel to communicate with key audiences – current and prospective students and alumni. The channel fosters the UCL community through sharing highlights of campus life, student activities and achievements and providing support and information for students in an informal and creative way.

Students have been inspired to engage with UCL Instagram through the #loveUCL competition, which has been running successfully for the past four years. The competition encourages students to share their shots of UCL life using the hashtag #loveUCL and awards eight monthly prize winners and one overall winner for each academic year. The competition has amplified UCL’s student voice and created an abundance of user-generated content that authentically shows campus life from every angle. At the end of 2017, there were 7,300 posts on Instagram using #loveUCL.

UCL Instagram is a popular channel with posts receiving high engagement. Between October and December 2017, the average ‘likes’ per image were close to 2,000. Followers of @ucl Instagram are rapidly growing and have almost doubled since September 2016 to more than 41,000 in December 2017. Instagram has become one of UCL’s top performing social channels.

Find out more

Further information

Previous key enabler

Sustainable estate

Next section

Our vision for 2034