Profile & Legacies Summary
1785 - 1870
Claimant or beneficiary
Former partner in William Peatt Litt and Steele (q.v.), awarded the compensation for the enslaved people on Abingdon in Hanover as owner-in-fee and Brandon Hall in Clarendon as mortgagee. Identified as 'London' in these two awards, he was probably the same man as the Richard Steele who counterclaimed as mortgagee of the Eolus Valley estate and who was awarded the residual compensation for the enslaved people on that estate c. 1845.
- Probably but by no means certainly the Richard Steele who appears in the 1841 census (without profession) living Grays Inn Road aged 60 with wife Mary aged 50 and children Mary S. 25, Jean 20, Henry 20 and Ann 10, and Mary Steele aged 65; in the 1851 census at 4 Caroline Place Lewisham aged 66 born Middlesex London annuitant with wife Mary aged 56 and sister Mary aged 70; and in the 1861 census in the household at 28 Upper Gloucester Place of daughter Mary S Steele aged 38 Professor of Music, when he was shown as father aged 76 born St Clement Middlesex, with mother Mary aged 66 and aunt Mary aged 80. Death of Richard Steele registered Q2 1870 aged 85. No apparent trace of a will or probate, except for the daughter, probably the Mary Sarah Steele who died at 36 Blomfield Road Maida Vale 26/03/1881, and whose will was proved by inter alios a music publisher 13/05/1881 effects under £3000.
T71/915 Hanover no. 510; T71/859 Clarendon no. 119; T71/866 St David no. 103.
- 1841, 1851 and 1861 censuses online; FreeUKGen, England and Wales Free BMD Database, Deaths, 1837-1983 [database online]; National Probate Calendar 1881.
Mary, Jemima, Henry, Anne
Associated Claims (3)
Associated Estates (2)
The dates listed below have different categories as denoted by the letters in the brackets following each date. Here is a key to explain those letter codes:
- SD - Association Start Date
- SY - Association Start Year
- EA - Earliest Known Association
- ED - Association End Date
- EY - Association End Year
- LA - Latest Known Association
1834 [EA] - 1839 [LA] → Owner
1834 [EA] - → Mortgage Holder