Profile & Legacies Summary
Merchant in Leith, Scotland. He was dead by early 1822 when creditors were in control of his son John's assets.
- The will of William Sibbald of Edinburgh, made in 1817 and proved 03/08/1825, and revoking a settlement of 1817 in favour of his son John, has numerous references to Leith and appears to have been the will of this man, although it makes no reference to Jamaica.
Douglas Hamilton, Scotland, The Caribbean and the Atlantic World, 1750-1820, (Manchester University Press, 2005), p 85; Edinburgh Gazette 2977 8 January 1822 p. 7.
- PROB 11/1702/155.
Associated Estates (1)
The dates listed below have different categories as denoted by the letters in the brackets following each date. Here is a key to explain those letter codes:
- SD - Association Start Date
- SY - Association Start Year
- EA - Earliest Known Association
- ED - Association End Date
- EY - Association End Year
- LA - Latest Known Association
- 1815 [LA] → Owner
Leith, Midlothian (Edinburgh), Central Scotland, Scotland