London - 1840 - ????
P. McCartney, Henry de la Beche: Observations on an observer (1977). We are grateful to Gillian Allen for compiling this entry.
Henry Thomas de la Beche persuaded the government to institute the Mining Records Office, housed in the Geological Museum from 1840 and then, from 1851, the Government School of Mines.
The Government School of Mines became the Royal School of Mines in 1863 and in 1907 was incorporated into Imperial College, but its classically designed building is still found on Prince Consort Road, London.