CLEAPSS Working with Glass
19 May 2020, 9:30 am–4:00 pm
This one-day practical course will provide technicians with the knowledge and skills required to make most of the simple bends, and other items, required for glass preparation in most secondary school science departments.
Short Courses020 7612 6325
Room: TBCUCL Institute of Education20 Bedford WayLondonWC1H 0ALUnited Kingdom
You'll also learn how to repair certain items of broken glass equipment.
Who this course is for
It's ideal for secondary-science laboratory technicians teaching Key Stage 3 and 4 (KS3 and KS4).
The course will cover:
- introduction to types of glass, their properties, uses and safe handling
- different types of burners
- cutting and polishing tubes and rods
- simple glass bends
- more advanced bending including double bends
- how to safely insert/remove glass into/from bungs
- sealing wire into glass
- repairing glass
- making a decorative glass bead
- other techniques including, drawing pipettes, closing tubes, joining & blowing glass.
Teaching and structure
The course is delivered as a practical workshop.
You'll need to be the science technician in your school.
By the end of the course, you'll have:
- understood the types of glass and how to handle them
- performed simple and advanced glass bending
- worked with items required for gas preparation
- an understanding of how to repair glass
- made a decorative glass bead
- learned other techniques for working with glass such as closing tubes and joining and blowing glass.
£165 for CLEAPSS members.
How to book
Credit/Debit card booking
If you can pay by credit/debit card (and you are strongly advised to do so as it saves time) you should click on the Book Now link above which will take you to the UCL online store. You will be asked to register your details and you should follow the online booking procedures. You will be sent an automatic confirmation of your booking initially, while you will receive a further confirmation from the short course team when we have received your booking.
If you wish to pay be invoice please follow these instructions.
- You should first obtain a purchase order number from your finance department at your school or college and the name of the person authorising the booking.
- Click on the Register Here button below.
- Complete and submit the form by clicking on the submit button at the bottom of the form.
Your booking will be handled manually and you will receive a confirmation when your booking has been processed.
The Consortium of Local Education Authorities for the Provision of Science Services (CLEAPSS) has a membership of more than 28,000 schools and colleges, mainly in England, Wales and Northern Ireland, where its advice is recognised by HSE, DFE and OFSTED as representing best practice in these areas. As such, it's used by employers as the basis for them to discharge their responsibilities under the H&S at work act, 1999.