Developing Middle Leaders (new version for 2020)
9:00 am to 4:00 pm, 17 January 2020
A professional leadership development programme for experienced middle leaders.
Maggie Woods020 7612 6616
UCL Institute of Education20 Bedford WayLondonWC1H 0ALUnited Kingdom
Are you are a current middle leader responsible for leading a team of staff with some experience of the role - then this is the programme for you. This innovative programme looks at the psychology of leadership. It blends up to date research with practical activities designed to develop your confidence and leadership skills and ensure you are a catalyst for change.
Who can apply?
This programme is for you if you are currently a middle leader with some experience of the role. You will be responsible for leading/managing a team of staff e.g. heads of subject, year, faculty, house or cross curricular teams in any phase. Also suitable for professional support staff who have been leading a team of administrators or teaching assistants for a minimum of two years.
The programme will help you to:
- deepen your understanding of your role in leading learning
- increase your ability to lead, manage and develop people in your team
- develop your confidence in having difficult conversations
- plan for your own personal leadership development.
Participants must attend all face-to-face sessions and undertake inter-sessional tasks to complete the programme. The programme finishes with a learning conversation and celebration twilight when you will present and discuss your leadership 'focus for change' project with a small group.
- Day 1: Where are you now?
- Moral purpose, values and leadership
- Differences between leadership and management
- Implications of leadership styles
- How motivation affects leadership
- Coaching approaches
- Professional learning conversations.
- Day 2: Where would you like to be?
- Emotional intelligence and leadership
- Motivations of self and others
- Leading change
- Reactions to change and managing difficult conversations
- Developing your 'focus for change' project.
- Day 3: How will you get there?
- What makes an effective team?
- Leading a high performing team
- Stages of team development
- Role of trust in leadership
- Reflecting on the performance of your team
- Refining your 'focus for change' project.
- Final twilight
- Present and celebrate the impact your leadership 'focus for change' project has had
- Learning conversation
- Future pathways.
- Inter-sessional tasks
Inter-sessional tasks will be undertaken between the leadership days including the completion of an online diagnostic between days one and two. Throughout the programme participants will carry out a 'focus for change' project.
Fees for 2019/20
£620 for the six month professional programme which includes three face-to-face leadership days and a final twilight session at the UCL Institute of Education.
Cost also includes a copy of the UCL Institute of Education (IOE) 'Catalyst' resource designed by Professor Louise Stoll at IOE
Session dates for the next cohort:
- Day one 17 January 2020
- Day two 10 March 2020
- Day three 28 April 2020
- Final twilight 4 June 2020
The whole programme was extremely relevant for my leadership role. I have gained skills and knowledge which will help me enormously.The wh
Excellent communication and facilitating, extremely informative, engaging and thought provoking.Exce
I am really inspired - this programme has helped me to make positive changes to my leadership.