9:00 am to 4:00 pm, 19 September 2019
A professional leadership development programme for senior leaders.
Maggie Woods020 7612 6616
UCL Institute of Education20 Bedford WayLondonWC1H 0ALUnited Kingdom
This programme can be the catalyst for you to begin your senior career or build on your passion for leading others towards success in their roles. Supported by the latest research, the programme looks at the psychology of leadership. It is designed to enhance your understanding of strategic leadership as a senior middle leader or new senior leader.
The programme will help you to:
- lead yourself, your team and beyond your team
- clarify your communication style and strengths
- understand the use of motivation as a leadership tool
- advance your skills in leading and influencing others
- intensify your impact on learning and teaching practices
- deal with contentious issues and whole-school initiatives.
Who can apply?
This programme is for you if you are
- a new leader in a senior leadership role
- an experienced middle leader with at least three years' experience in the role and aspiring to senior leadership
- a leader who has already undertaken previous professional middle leadership development
- professional support staff e.g. school business managers.
Participants must attend all face-to-face sessions and undertake inter-sessional tasks to complete the programme. The programme finishes with a learning conversation and celebration twilight when you will present and discuss your action research with a small group.
- Day 1: Communication
- Leadership communication
- Advanced listening skills
- Leadership vision
- Effective adult learning
- Beginning action research.
- Day 2: Motivation
- Motivation for self and others
- Goals and motivation
- Time management
- Leading change
- Coaching, mentoring, line management
- Day 3: Dialogue
- Leadership styles
- Distributive leadership
- Delivering change through project management
- Team culture
- Challenging dialogues
- Understanding the role of the school leadership team (SLT) and decision making.
- Final twilight
- Present action research
- Learning conversation.
- Inter-sessional tasks
Inter-sessional tasks will be undertaken between the leadership days including the completion of an online diagnostic between days one and two.
During the programme leaders will carry out action research which will involve working across the school or with another team.
Fees for 2019/20
£620 for the six month professional programme which includes three face-to-face leadership days and a final twilight session at the UCL Institute of Education (IOE).
Session dates for the next cohort:
|Day one||19 September 2019|
|Day two||19 November 2019|
|Day three||22 January 2020|
|Final twilight||12 March 2020|
Schools, collaboratives and local authorities
The programme is run on-site for schools, groups of schools, local authorities and multi-academy trusts – contact us for costs and more information.
For international schools and groups of schools, the programme can be run at your overseas venue – contact us for costs and more information.
The programme gave me the confidence to go for promotion and believe in my leadership skills.
I thoroughly enjoyed the course. Not only did I learn a lot, but I felt it also helped my recent appointment to a more senior role at my school. Exce
Excellent course leaders who were inspiring and modelled so many of the skills they were teaching.