Connecting Capabilities: the HDCA Conference 2019
8:30 am, 09 September 2019 to 5:30 pm, 11 September 2019
The 2019 Human Development and Capability Approach (HDCA) conference takes place over three days in London at the UCL Institute of Education, on the theme of ‘connecting capabilities’.
Centre for Education and International Development
Logan Hall, Jeffery Hall and multiple roomsUCL Institute of Education20 Bedford WayLondonWC1H 0ALUnited Kingdom
Professor Amartya Sen in conversation with Professor Elaine Unterhalter
The theme of connecting capabilities gives us an opportunity to think against this grain, using ideas and networks on human development and putting the capability approach to work in new ways.
About the conference
The Human Development and Capability Association (HDCA) is a global community of academics and practitioners focused on people-centred development and the capability approach. The mission of the association is to promote both research and policy in the area of human development and well-being. The HDCA consists of members from many disciplines and professions, including economics, philosophy, development studies, health, education, law, government, and sociology, among others.
The 2019 conference will be hosted by the Centre for Education and International Development (CEID) at the UCL Institute of Education, in partnership with SOAS, Birkbeck, the University of East London and the London International Development Centre (LIDC).
The 2019 HDCA Program Committee invites scholars, government policy makers, practitioners and other interested parties from all over the world to participate in the 2019 HDCA conference. Original empirical research, theoretical issues, case-studies or reports of experiences, findings from major research projects, and book panels relevant to conference theme or more broadly related to human development/capabilities approach, will be presented.
- Important deadlines
25 February 2019 Submission of proposals 15 April 2019 Announcement of acceptance/rejection 30 April 2019 Deadline for scholarship applications 15 June 2019 Deadline for conference registration at early-bird rates 15 July 2019 Submission of full papers/posters and entries for the UCL Grand Challenges and Kuklys prizes 22 August 2019 Final deadline for conference registration at standard rates
- Keynote speakers
Confirmed keynote speakers include:
- Professor Martha C. Nussbaum – Ernst Freund Distinguished Service Professor of Law and Ethics, University of Chicago. The title of Professor Nussbaum’s keynote address is 'Reconciliation after Conflict: Britten's WAR REQUIEM and the Body’.
- Dr Vandana Shiva (Sen Lecture) – Scholar, environmental activist, food sovereignty advocate and author
- Professor Leif Wenar (Nussbaum Lecture) – Chair of Philosophy & Law at King’s College London
- Panel with activists and practitioners reflecting on using the capability approach including Dr Gautam Bhan, Indian Institute for Human Settlements, and Johannes Krassnitzer, United Nations Development Programme (UNDP).
- Ms Stefania Giannini – Assistant Director-General for Education, United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO)
- Registration and fees
Online registration is now open. Book your place via the link above.
Concessionary rates and a limited number of scholarships will be available. Please see the HDCA conference website for details.
Join the Connecting Capabilities conversation on Twitter at #HDCA2019