Women in Leadership programme: Stepping up to Leadership
20 November 2019, 2:30 pm–5:30 pm
Are you curious about how to further develop your leadership skills? Do you want to understand better, and contribute to, debates about gender equality in educational leadership? Are you keen to explore what makes a truly outstanding leader?
UCL Institute of EducationBedford WayLondonWC1H 0ALUnited Kingdom
Mulberry School for Girls and Bow School in partnership with UCL Institute of Education are offering female colleagues the opportunity to join their bespoke Women in Leadership Programme commencing in autumn 2019. Following the success of six innovative and inspiring programmes since 2015, the next series of workshops will provide you with the opportunity to work with like-minded women, to reflect on key areas of leadership practice, sharpen your leadership skills and gain an understanding of the challenges and fantastic opportunities facing women in leadership roles.
The four workshops blend research about great leadership and gender issues with practical activities. There will be opportunities to apply learning through inter-sessional activities tailored to your individual needs and contexts.
- Session 1: Wednesday 20 November 2019 (2:30pm to 5:30pm)
- Session 2: Wednesday 12 Feb 2020 (2:30pm to 5:30pm)
- Session 3: Wednesday 11 March 2020 Full day, (9:30am to 4:00pm)
- Session 4: Wednesday 29 April 2020 (2:30pm to 5:30pm)
Who should apply?
The programme is suitable for female middle leaders aspiring towards senior leadership at some point in the future. It is designed for colleagues in a range of educational settings including early years, primary, secondary, post 16 and special schools and is open to both teaching and support staff. Applicants must be able to attend all sessions, complete inter-sessional activities and be fully committed to the collaborative, supportive yet challenging nature of this programme.
- Session one
- Why ‘women in leadership’ - what the data tells us
- Exploring gender and leadership in context
- Leadership styles and role models
- “Superhuman leadership” – a flawed concept!
- Establishing a personal leadership development focus
- Session two
- Developing your vision and purpose as a leader
- Leading people – an emotionally intelligent approach
- Understanding gender issues
- How to bring about positive change in schools
- Session three
- Developing your own authentic voice as a leader
- Practising presentational and voice skills
- Holding challenging conversations
- Exploring work-life balance
- Preparing to apply for senior leadership positions
- Session four
- Leading equitably – female leadership and girls’ achievement
- Evaluating impact of programme on your practice and identity as a leader
- Your ongoing leadership journey – your leadership ambitions
How to apply?
Email Kim Leathem, giving your name, role, school and Teacher Reference Number (TRN). In the email, state why you want to take part in the programme and what difference you hope it will make to your development as a leader (maximum 100 words). Please also provide the name and email of a senior leader in your school who supports your application.
The cost of all four sessions is charged at £550 per person (or £350 for City Excellence in Teaching partner schools) thanks to the generous funding support offered by the Women in Leadership Programme.
Image: Women in leadership programme. Photo: © Kirsten Holst