An Introduction to the Role of the Science Technician in Schools and Colleges
12 November 2019, 9:15 am–4:00 pm
This course is for new or inexperienced science technicians working in schools or colleges. Learn about best practice, how to provide effective support to your department and enhance student learning.
Short Courses020 7612 6325
Room: TBCUCL Institute of Education20 Bedford WayLondonWC1H 0ALUnited Kingdom
Please note the new date for this course
This one-day course will give you an introduction to the role of the school or college science technician.You'll learn about:
- health and safety
- policies and procedures
- technician skills
- where to get more information and what's next.
The course will help you to provide efficient and effective support to the whole science department and enhance student learning.
The course covers the following:
- the role of the science technician in a school or college
- procedures and protocols
- health and safety and the technician
- keeping up to date.
An afternoon hands-on practical session will also cover key technical skills, hints, tips and best practice and give you the opportunity to use a variety of equipment.
Who the course is for
This course is suitable for school or college science technicians working at any key stage.
You'll need to be working as a science technician in a school or college.
This course will help you to:
- gain confidence in the support you provide for the science department and students
- develop and enhance the technical service and work cohesively as a member of a team
- describe and apply policies, procedures and actions that will lead to an effective and efficient technical service
- describe and explain safety implications and how to address them
- develop skills to identify and share good practice.
The course is delivered mainly as a lecture with interactive discussion, and a practical workshop in the afternoon.
You'll get a certificate of attendance on completing the course.
£165 per participant.
How to book
Credit/Debit card booking
If you can pay by credit/debit card (and you are strongly advised to do so as it saves time) you should click on the Book Now link above which will take you to the UCL online store. You will be asked to register your details and you should follow the online booking procedures. You will be sent an automatic confirmation of your booking initially, while you will receive a further confirmation from the short course team when we have received your booking.
If you wish to pay be invoice please follow these instructions.
- You should first obtain a purchase order number from your finance department at your school or college and the name of the person authorising the booking.
- Click on the Register Here button below.
- Complete and submit the form by clicking on the submit button at the bottom of the form.
Your booking will be handled manually and you will receive a confirmation when your booking has been processed.
- 24 March 2020
- 30 June 2020
About the Speaker
Stephanie is a professional tutor and consultant for science technicians who work in an educational setting.