Technicians Supporting Biology Practical Work for A Level
25 January 2019, 9:00 am–4:00 pm
This one-day practical course for science technicians focuses on building the knowledge, key skills and techniques you need to effectively support A level biology teaching.
Short Courses020 7612 6325
Room: TBCUCL Institute of Education20 Bedford WayLondonWC1H 0ALUnited Kingdom
You'll learn how to effectively support a range of practical activities through hands-on experience of a variety of apparatus and experiments.
The course will cover:
- the new curriculum
- new and traditional approaches to experiments known to be problematic
- ways to incorporate information and communication technology (ICT) into lessons
- health and safety, risk assessments and keeping up to date.
You'll also look at three experiments in detail:
Practical activities will include a heart rate investigation, dilutions and colorimetry, photosynthesis and ecology tips.
Who the course is for
This course is suitable for all secondary school and college science technicians, especially those working with Key Stages 4 and 5.
You'll need to be working as a science technician in a school or college.
This course will help you to:
- improve your awareness of the practical demands of A level biology
- consider strategies for providing effective technical support
- gain confidence in the support you provide for the science department and students
- learn new skills and techniques to ensure good quality practical work and share good practice
- gain experience in the set-up and demonstration of key biology experiments, including relevant safety precautions
- understand hazard identification and risk assessment and the importance of keeping up to date.
The course is delivered mainly as a practical workshop with some lectures/discussion.
You'll get a certificate of attendance on completing the course.
£165 per participant.
How to book
You can book online using a credit card by clicking on the link(s) below.
If you wish to pay by invoice and the invoice to be issued to your school, you should send your full details together with a purchase order number and the contact details of your finance department (email address) to: email@example.com