The publications below have been selected from the UCL publications database.
- Anna Sexton, Shepherd, E., Duke-Williams, O., & Eveleigh, A. (2018). The role and nature of consent in government administrative data. Big Data & Society. 5:2. https://doi.org/10.1177/2053951718819560 Open access
- Elizabeth Shepherd, Jenny Bunn, Andrew Flinn, Elizabeth Lomas, Anna Sexton, Sara Brimble, Katherine Chorley, Emma Harrison, James Lowry and Jessica Page, (2018). ‘Open government data: critical information management perspectives’, Records Management Journal. http://dx.doi.org/10.1108/RMJ-08-2018-0023
- Victoria Hoyle, Shepherd, Elizabeth, Flinn, Andrew, Lomas, Elizabeth (2018). ‘Child social care recording and the information rights of care-experienced people: A recordkeeping perspective’, British Journal of Social Work.
- Elizabeth Shepherd, ‘Hidden voices in the archives: pioneering women archivists in early 20th century England’, in Engaging with Archives and Records: Histories and Theories eds. Fiorella Foscarini, Heather MacNeil, Gillian Oliver and Bonnie Mak. Facet, 2017.
- Elizabeth Shepherd, ‘Right to Information’, in Currents of Archival Thinking, eds. Heather MacNeil and Terry Eastwood. Libraries Unlimited, ABC-Clio, 2017.
- Elizabeth Shepherd, ‘Pioneering women archivists in England: Ethel Stokes (1870–1944), record agent’, Archival Science, 17: 2 (2017): 175-194. Published online November 2016 DOI 10.1007/s10502-016-9272-x. Open Access: http://rdcu.be/mPs7
- Anna Sexton, Elizabeth Shepherd, Oliver Duke-Williams, Alexandra Eveleigh ‘A balance of trust in the use of government administrative data’, Archival Science. 17: 4 (2017): 305-330. Published online October 2017 DOI 10.1007/s10502-017-9281-4 http://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s10502-017-9281-4 Open access http://rdcu.be/wDrx
- Elizabeth Shepherd, ‘Freedom of Information, Right to Access Information, Open Data: Who is at the table?’, RoundTable 104 (6): (2015): 715-726. Published online November 2015 http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.1080/00358533.2015.1112101
- Oliver Duke-Williams, Elizabeth Shepherd & Alexandra Eveleigh, ‘Inequality in access to education and inequality in access to information about allocation of school places’, in eds. Malleson, Nick, Addis, Nicholas, Durham, Helen, Heppenstall, Alison, Lovelace, Robin, Norman, Paul, Oldroyd, Rachel. GIS Research UK (GISRUK) 2015 Proceedings. (2015): 148-151. http://dx.doi.org/10.6084/m9.figshare.1491375
- Mandy Banton, Susan Williams and Elizabeth Shepherd, guest editors, Special Issue, ‘Freedom of Information in the Commonwealth’, RoundTable (2015): published online November 2015 http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.1080/00358533.2015.1112088
- James Lowry & Elizabeth Shepherd, ‘The Open Government Partnership: implications for national archives’, Atlanti: International Institute for Archival Science of Trieste and Maribor Conference Proceedings 24:1 (Trieste-Maribor, 2014): 177-182.
- Andrew Flinn, Elizabeth Shepherd and Geoffrey Yeo, ‘Education in records and archives management: a view from London’, in Integrity in Government through Records Management: Essays in Honour of Anne Thurston, ed J Lowry & J Wamukoya, 217-224. Ashgate, 2014.
- Opponent’s summary, Recordkeeping in a New Context Swedish Riksarkivets e-arkiv och e-diarium (eARD) Newsletter (Jan-March 2014) http://riksarkivet.se/Media/pdf-filer/Projekt/eard-nyhetsbrev_2014-januari.pdf
- Encyclopedia of Archival Concepts, Principles and Practices eds Luciana Duranti & Pat Franks, entry on ‘Primary Values’ (Jan 2014)
- Elizabeth Shepherd, ‘Access to Information, Open Government, Open Data: the UK experience’ Differentes Olhares Sobre os Arquivos Online: Digitalizacao, Memoria e Acesso Rio de Janiero, AAB (2013): 177-196.
- Louise Ray, Elizabeth Shepherd, Andrew Flinn, Erica Ander & Marie Laperdrix, ‘Funding archive services in England and Wales: institutional realities and professional perceptions’ Archives and Records: The Journal of the Archives and Records Association (October 2013) 34: 2, 175-199. Published on 1 October 2013 online DOI: 10.1080/23257962.2013.822355
- Elizabeth Shepherd, ‘Access to Information, open government, open data: the UK experience’, Pre print Proceedings of the Fifth Conference on Archival Information Databases, Different Views of Online Archives: Digitization, Memory and Access, Rio de Janiero, 4-6 June 2013.
- Margaret Procter and Elizabeth Shepherd, ‘Writing the local record office’ Archives & Records (April 2013) 34: 1, 1-8. Published online 2 July 2013, DOI 10.1080/23257962.2013.799462
- Elizabeth Shepherd, "An ‘academic’ dilemma: the tale of archives and records management" Journal of Librarianship & Information Science 44: 3 (2012): 174-184. Published online on 28 November 2011 doi: 10.1177/0961000611427067.
- Andrew Flinn and Elizabeth Shepherd, guest editors, ‘Special Issue: Archives, Records and Identities – Questions of Trust’, Archival Science 11: 3-4 (2011) 425pp.
- Elizabeth Shepherd, Andrew Flinn and Alice Stevenson, ‘Freedom of Information and records management in local government: help or hindrance?’ Information Polity: the International Journal of Governance and Democracy in the Information Age 16: 2 (2011): 111-121.
- Elizabeth Shepherd, Andrew Flinn and Alice Stevenson, ‘Records Management in English Local Government: the effect of freedom of information’ Records Management Journal 21: 2 (2011): 122 – 134. DoI http://dx.doi.org/10.1108/09565691111152053
- E Shepherd and 23 others, jointly named Archival Education and Research Institute (AERI) Pluralizing the Archival Curriculum Group (PACG) ‘Educating for the Archival Multiverse’ American Archivist 74 (Spring/Summer 2011): 69-102.
- Elizabeth Shepherd, ‘Archivists in 21st century Europe: emerging professionals?’, in S@P Yearbook 2010 ed T Laeven and E Hokke. The Netherlands: KVAN, (2010): 39-49.
- Elizabeth Shepherd, Andrew Flinn and Alice Stevenson, ‘Information governance, records management and freedom of information: a study of local government authorities in England’ Government Information Quarterly 27: 4 (Oct 2010): 337-345. Published online 13/08/2010. DOI 10.1016/j.giq.2010.02.008
- Mary Stevens, Andrew Flinn, and Elizabeth Shepherd, ‘New frameworks for community engagement in the archive sector: from handing over to handing on’ International Journal of Heritage Studies 16:1 (2010): 59-76. DOI: 10.1080/13527250903441770. Available online at http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/13527250903441770
- Flinn,A., Stevens,M., Shepherd,E. (2009). 'Whose memories, whose archives? Independent community archives, autonomy and the mainstream.' Archival Science . ISSN: 1389-0166
- Shepherd,E. (2009). Archival Science. in Encyclopedia of Library and Information Sciences. Taylor and Francis
- Shepherd,E. (2009), Archives and Archivists in 20th Century England,Aldershot, Hants: Ashgate.
- Shepherd,E. (2009). Culture and evidence: or what good are the archives? Archives and archivists in 20th century England. Archival Science . ISSN: 1389-0166
- Shepherd,E. (2009). Planning and implementing electronic records management by Kelvin Smith. Journal of Documentation 65(1), 171-172. ISSN: 0022-0418 [Online]
- Shepherd,E. (2009). The impact of the UK Freedom of Information Act on digital records management in the public sector. Vth DLM-Forum Conference, Information and Electronic Records Management in Europe: Achievements and new Directions, Toulouse, December 2008, Proceedings of the Vth DLM-Forum Conference series. Direction des Archives de France [Online]
- Shepherd,E. (2009). What are Archives? Cultural and Theoretical Perspectives: a reader edited by Louise Craven. Library and Information Update . ISSN: 1476-7171
- Shepherd,E. (2008). Archival Internships by J Bastian and D Webber. Journal of the Society of Archivists 29(2), . ISSN: 0037-9816
- Shepherd,E. (2007). Review of 'Managing archives: foundations, principles and practice' by Caroline Williams. Business Archives: principles and practice 93, 73-74
- Shepherd,E. (2007). Review of 'Political pressure and the archival record' by Margaret Procter, Michael Cook and Caroline Williams (eds) Archives 116, 58-59
- Shepherd,E. (2007). Archives. Chapter 17 in Bowman,J.H. (ed.) British librarianship and information work 2001-2005. Aldershot: Ashgate, 248-256. ISBN: 978-0-7546-4778-2
- Shepherd,E., Ennion,E. (2007). How has the implementation of the UK Freedom of Information Act 2000 affected archives and records management services? Records Management Journal 17(1), 32-51. ISSN: 0956-5698
- Shepherd,E.J. (2007). Freedom of Information and Records Management in the UK: What has been the Impact? Journal of the Society of Archivists 28(2), 125-138. ISSN: 0037-9816 [DOI link]
- Shepherd,E. (2006). Developing a new academic discipline: UCL's contribution to the research and teaching of archives and records management. Aslib Proceedings 58(1-2), 10-19. ISSN: 0001-253X
- Shepherd,E. (2006). Review of 'Selecting and appraising archives and manuscripts' by Frank Boles. Journal of the Society of Archivists 27(2), 247-248. ISSN: 0037-9816
- Shepherd,E. (2006). Sixty years of archival education in England 1947-2006: looking back and looking forward. Second Asia-Pacific Conference for Archival Educators and Trainers 18-19 October 2006 Proceedings, Tokyo:International Council on Archives, 103-111
- Shepherd,E. (2006). Why are records in the public sector organizational assets? Records Management Journal 16(1), 6-12. ISSN: 0956-5698
- Shepherd,E. (2006). Tradition and position in England. in Butikofer,N., Hofman,H., Ross,S. (ed.) Managing and Archiving Records in the Digital Era: changing professional orientations. Baden: Swiss State Secretariat for Education and Research, 51-57
- Shepherd,E.J. (2006). Archives. Chapter 16 in Bowman,J.H. (ed.) British librarianship and information work 1991-2000. Chippenham: Ashgate, 262-281. ISBN: 978-0-7546-4779-9
- Shepherd,E. (2005). Review of 'Ethics and the archival profession: introduction and case studies' by Karen Benedict. Journal of the Society of Archivists 26(1), 149-151. ISSN: 0037-9816
- Shepherd,E. (2005). 'Freedom of Information and records management in the UK: what has been the impact so far?' DLM Forum 5-7 October 2005, Budapest,
- Shepherd,E. (2004), Towards Professionalism? Archives and Archivists in England in the Twentieth Century. Full text: http://discovery.ucl.ac.uk/1462315/
- Shepherd,E. (2003). Managing Historical Records Programs: A Guide for Historical Agencies by B W Dearstyne. Archival Science 3, 65-66. ISSN: 1389-0166
- Shepherd,E. (2003). Norton on Archives: The Writings of Margaret Cross Norton on Archival and Records Management by T W Mitchell (ed) Archival Science 3(1-2), 319-320. ISSN: 1389-0166
- Shepherd,E., West,V. (2003). Are ISO 15489-1:2001 and ISAD(G) compatible? Records Management Journal 13(2), 62-69. ISSN: 0956-5698 [DOI link]
- Shepherd,E., Yeo,G. (2003), Managing Records: a handbook of principles and practice,London: Facet Publishing. ISBN: 1-85604-370-3. 318pp.
- Shepherd,E.J., West,V. (2003). Are ISO 15489-1:2001 and ISAD(G) compatible? Records Management Journal 13(1), 9-23. ISSN: 0956-5698 [DOI link]
- Shepherd,E., Pringle,R. (2002). Mapping descriptive standards across sectors: a comparison of ISAD(G) and SPECTRUM. Journal of the Society of Archivists 23(1), 17-34. ISSN: 0037-9816
- Shepherd,E. (1998). 'Something old, something new: the British experience of distance learning in archives and records management' International Council on Archives Archival Review Janus (1998.2),
- Shepherd,E. (1998). Partnerships in professional education: a study in archives and records management. Records Management Journal, 8 (3), 19-37. ISSN: 0956-5698
- Shepherd,E. (1997). 'Continuing Vocational Education: a project progress report from University College London' Records Management Journal, 7 (2), 131-146. ISSN: 0956-5698
- Shepherd,E. (1997). 'Something old, something new: the British experience of distance learning in archives and records management: a summary' ACARM Newsletter (19), 29-32
- Shepherd,E. (1997), The Management of Electronic Records.
- Shepherd,E. (1997). 'Archives' in Butler,L.J., Gorst,A. (ed.) Modern British History: a guide to study and research. London: IB Tauris, 48-62